Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×

What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer?

Sorry, I didn't know where to post this. 

But, anyways, i'm pretty scrawny honestly. 5'6 130 pounds. I feel like i need to be doing something for racing and just so I can have more fun while riding. But I'm not 100% sure what I should be doing.

So here's what's up:

-I don't want to spend a ton of time working out, 30minutes-1hour per day should suffice I think.

-I don't want to "bulk up" and get huge, I just want to be able to hold onto the bars for longer without getting tired, as it stands I can ride for half an hour maybe before I start getting symptoms of arm pump/not being able to pull in the controls. I need to go atleast an hour and a half.

-Cardio is obviously important, but I do a fair bit of mountain biking, and I think I've got cardio covered fairly well, just have no chest/arm strength to back up my cardio. Also, since i do a fair bit of mountain biking, I think my legs are pretty much strong enough....for now....

So basically my question is what type of exercises should I be doing to get more "fit" in the upper body area I guess is what I need to know.

Thanks for the help guys!

well first off, i would start doing some serious benching and lifting all chest and bi's get so buff you loose your flexibilty, and if it takes roids to get there go that route thats what i do and look at me im getting podiums in adult begginer so better follow my way of doing stuff. got it fade? 

• Like 2

Boost your cardio. I recommend mountain biking as it sort of correlates or any cycling. For strength, push-ups, pull ups, and body weight squats. You can try 3 sets for about 10 reps each to start and alter as needed.

Forearm strength is good for riding dirt bikes...... how you go about working your forearms is up to you.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't know where to post this. 

But, anyways, i'm pretty scrawny honestly. 5'6 130 pounds. I feel like i need to be doing something for racing and just so I can have more fun while riding. But I'm not 100% sure what I should be doing.

-I don't want to spend a ton of time working out, 30minutes-1hour per day should suffice I think.

lol nope

I'd say pick a town 3-4 hours away, then ride there for lunch.  Minimize time spent on the pavement.

Knocking out 150+ miles in a day a few times a month makes the 2-hour harescrambles go by real fast.

Forearm strength is good for riding dirt bikes...... how you go about working your forearms is up to you.

I give you props for that one! Edited by casualrider1994
  • Like 2

You literally just said what I said, and didn't answer my question at all :lol:

lol nope

I'd say pick a town 3-4 hours away, then ride there for lunch.  Minimize time spent on the pavement.

Knocking out 150+ miles in a day a few times a month makes the 2-hour harescrambles go by real fast.

Well when I get a dual sport...maybe that'll happen...but i mean until then, no possible way...

and get a older softer tennis ball and rotate it around and squeeze it to build up grip

THIS I LIKE THE SOUND OF

Im going to start this to get back in better shape this summer, this guy has a real good rep. on youtube 

http://scoobysworkshop.com/intermediate-workout-plan/

You said that cardio is set, is it really? take on road biking that stuff is hardcore

dont forget to eat like a pig, your body needss it

Edited by mr.whiskeythrottle

Actually, by your post it seems you don't want to do much to me! That will get you in shape for sure! LOL

I like to work my forearms by eating pie

• Like 3

I like to work my forearms by eating pie

I just mentioned in the other thread (Confused), my wife made some apple pie, want some!
  • Like 1

Dead lifts. Start with a weight that allows you to do 100 reps without stopping. Work your way up to 500 reps without stopping. Cardio is another big deal, as well as core strength.

Endurance plays a bigger role than strength does in a HS.

Im going to start this to get back in better shape this summer, this guy has a real good rep. on youtube 

http://scoobysworkshop.com/intermediate-workout-plan/

You said that cardio is set, is it really? take on road biking that stuff is hardcore

dont forget to eat like a pig, your body needss it

Dont have money for a roadbike, i can ride my mountain bike on the street but that's just dumb :smirk:

My cardio isn't amazing but it'll suffice for now

Work from your core out and don't forget to work your legs. (Nothing wrong with all around fitness)

Need to start with a good foundation of strength and work in the endurance.

For endurance go for multiple burn out sets for some of the upper body muscle groups. Think about it (stressing that muscle group over and over even when it's tired is what you're trying to overcome).

A run wouldn't hurt either.

Most importantly eat like a pig, but eat the right things.