What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer?

A real simple workout to fend off arm pump is to tie a five pound weight to the center of a section of dowel about the same width as your bars, hold the dowel out at arms length and twist it so it pulls the weight up, the twist it the other way so it goes down. Then when you get bored of doing that, try it while balancing on something

This is what we used to do 35 years ago for forearm workout. I still have the old broom stick handle with the rope and weight. You would think you would be able to roll it up and down 10 times pretty easy, but it is crazy hard after just 3 times.

• 1 year later...

Muscle fitness has good stuff to go off of. Honestly all you need is resistance any form. I know guys who got built off bags of water and a stick big enough to hold it. Iv made workouts with t-shirts and a log and have been just effective as weights. Resistance Resistance is needed to shred the muscle that's all. And a good meal plan and cardio out the ass. I suggest boxing, mma. Both will also help with growing a set of balls as well. Sparing is fun and it don't hurt. I mean its all on you but yeah. Long story short resistance is needed and that's it. Either a form of positive or negative resistance.

If you are just a casual trail rider on the weekends just seat time and some cardio is is probably enough.But trust me as a trainer of elite athletes and owner of a sport supplement company I can assure you if you are not implementing "sport specific" training these days you will be left behind by equally talented competition that is.Just ask Ryan dungey,Jason Anderson and ken roxen what sets them apart from the field right now and the first two will most definitely tell you Aldon bakers training program.Sports science has advanced to the point where we can actually engineer champions and just plain better athletes outside the pro ranks.From MMA to golf the difference between two equally talented athletes will always be Sports specific training and nutrition.

Trust me on this one, I have watched a kid go from super super sketchy c rider to national level pro. Before you get too caught up in the training, you just need to ride, all day (4-8 hours), as much as you can. The more you ride the better you will be off. If you feel you will gain from lifting weights than maybe you will, but lifting too much (time/weight) causes you to actually get arm pump faster. Ride ride ride

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Experts

You are EXACTLY correct - you can get a lot done in 1 hour a day - especially if you dial in your nutrition and hydration!  Here are four simple things you can do:

1. Purchase a heart rate monitor and train at the correct intensity levels.  If you lack endurance, you need to build an aerobic engine (heart rate zones 1 and 2). If you lack sprint speed, you need to develop your high intensity levels.  The key is to make sure you are hitting the intensity levels as you perceive them.  My experience is that most athletes/riders are not going as hard as they think.  On the other end of the spectrum, when they need to be going easy (for recovery or to enhance their aerobic engine), they are going too hard.  After you pick up a HR monitor, please email me (Robb@CoachRobb.com) and I will send you Max HR Assessment and HR Spreadsheet to optimize your training. 

2. Purchase some stretch cords (cheaper than dumbbells) or dumbbells if you can afford them (expensive at nearly a $1 a pound) and a fit ball.  You can strengthen all of your muscle groups, core and lower back with these items.  Click Here for some stretch cord exercises and Click Here for some abdominal exercises. 

3. Improve your flexibility.  When a muscle becomes short, it takes more energy to produce movement which creates pre-mature fatigue.  Improve your range of  motion and you will have better endurance and reduce your risk of injury.  Click Here for some stretches to implement after warming up for 10 minutes.  

4. Understand your sweat rate. If you are dehydrated, the muscles lose the power to contract.  If you don't know your Sweat Rate, please email me (Robb@CoachRobb.com) and I will send you a copy of my Sweat Rate Calculator.  

Thank you for posting here on TT.  Please leave a message here if you have any questions or need anything clarified.

-Coach Robb

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to earn the +50 #2 plate in D37 Cal. Scrambles using the Beachbody P90 program and some additional squats incline press and curls. Using 12lb 3 sets w/ 15 reps. 3X min per week. Ride every chance you get, it's the most fun anyway.

Edited by dansarch