Sign in to follow this  

yz250f oil change problem

I changed my oil and followed my manual as well as watching youtube videos to ensure I did it correctly. When I was finished I let the engine run for a bit to cycle in the new oil. I noticed the oil level was high after checking it when I was all done so I decided to let it sit over night just to be sure. when  I checked the oil level again my dip stick was dry. I knew I put enough oil in my bike so I started it and let it run for 5 minutes or so. then checked the oil level again and it was back up to the max oil level mark. what is going on here? and what do I do the make sure my oil level is good?

1. BUY A SERVICE MANUAL AND READ IT

You did not follow the owners manual instructions correctly either

.....guessing is not the way to go

2. The dipstick is for checking oil one way only: 1 minute after a 3 minute warm up, on level ground, level bike (not on kickstand)

3. The dipstick tells you if you have lost 10% of your oil, when it registers nothing. 

3. ALWAYS measure the oil you install and occasionally measure the oil you remove, to verify consumption issues

4. You should be changing the oil often enough to not need to worry about how much is in there, just to check for problems that might show up as oil consumption

5. Not a jetting issue

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick