Sign in to follow this  

Fork Cap Woes

I'm trying to remove the fork caps to replace the springs. They are on there super tight so today I got a breaker bar for more leverage. The right side came off ok but the left side will not budge. Now, the hex nut on top is starting to strip. I'm not sure how to proceed without really making a mess of it. There is no corrosion etc that I can see. I'm not sure why it's being so stubborn. Recommendations?

Have you loosened the pinch bolts on the triple clamps holding the forks in place?

Not yet.

@150Ron - I was thinking heat but I didn't want to soften it up more.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

If it wont budge and will keep stripping,  then i would do some heat and a vice grip,  then maybe replace that one.

• Like 1

That was my thought as well. I was checking the price...it's a $100 part!

That was my thought as well. I was checking the price...it's a $100 part!

Oh shit,  lol,  nevermind,  be gentle then  :D

Or vice grip it,  and put it back on with the vice grips,  hopefully it wont look too bad. 

Not yet.

Do this before you try heating the parts.  The fork tube isn't very thick where the pinch bolts are and if the pinch bolts are too tight they can make it real hard to remove the fork cap. 

• Like 5

Do this before you try heating the parts.  The fork tube isn't very thick where the pinch bolts are and if the pinch bolts are too tight they can make it real hard to remove the fork cap. 

Props to you sir, that totally worked. Came right off! Thanks again. Hopefully this helps others in the future!

Edited by Joehio
  • Like 3