Sign in to follow this  

Throttle sticking

I have recently shimmed my valves as they were out of spec. I just got my bike back together and got It started. As soon as I started I noticed it sounded different. Every time I would twist the throttle it would go to high rpms then decline to a mid rpm range and stay there for about 3-4 seconds before declining to an idol, sometimes even stalling when twisting the throttle. I took it for a ride and noticed that when I shifted from neutral to first the rpms would stay at a mid range and not decline. Over winter I disassembled my throttle tube and cleaned everything. Someone said that it might be carb issues but I had no issues before shimming so why should I now? I don't understand what's wrong and I need to fix the problem fast (leaving for a race tommorow morning). Thanks!

Sounds like an air leak to me. You use all new gaskets when you re-assembled?

My two-stroke had the same symptoms when I spaced on installing the reed-block gasket :D Took me a whole engine rebuild to figure that one out haha.

Everything was sealed with new gaskets (except valve cover gasket because it was still in great shape) and I could not find an air leak either after spraying wd40 near the intake boot while the bike was running.