Sign in to follow this  

Boyesen Power Reeds (Dual Stage )

I installed these on a 2006 YZ 125 and because its been since last year that I rode the bike it actually seems like I might have lost a slight bottom end hit, Is that possible since the reeds I replaced were the stock from when the bike was new. The stock reeds looked O.K. I only replaced them since I had the Boyesen's laying around .Thanks

I installed these on a 2006 YZ 125 and because its been since last year that I rode the bike it actually seems like I might have lost a slight bottom end hit, Is that possible since the reeds I replaced were the stock from when the bike was new. The stock reeds looked O.K. I only replaced them since I had the Boyesen's laying around .Thanks

Anything is possible.

Yamaha engineers made them a certain way for a reason.

I went from dual to single stage on my YZ250 and felt zero difference

• Like 1

I really don't like the 2 stage reeds.  I always go for the single stage carbon fiber, no hitches and great performance.  I have an idea for people who want to take out power or make it more "manageable", grow a set or quit twisting so hard.  i want all the power when I want it.  If I want easy throttle, I will get a power chair or a 4 cycle tiller bike.  I have a 2 cycle  because I like riding rockets.

What pipe and silencer are you running?  What jetting?

I really don't like the 2 stage reeds.  I always go for the single stage carbon fiber, no hitches and great performance.  I have an idea for people who want to take out power or make it more "manageable", grow a set or quit twisting so hard.  i want all the power when I want it.  If I want easy throttle, I will get a power chair or a 4 cycle tiller bike.  I have a 2 cycle  because I like riding rockets.

That's your opinion, and your entitled to it, but that doesn't mean that what works for you is correct for everyone else. Sometimes, making a bike more "manageable" makes it quicker overall since it's easier to ride fast.

• Like 1

What pipe and silencer are you running?  What jetting?

Stock Pipe, Stock silencer. Jetting is Main 440,Pilot 40,Neddle is a E-4 . 40:1 all Recommended by Eric Gore and have worked out really well for the most part.Again it's hard to remember what the bike ran like with the stock reeds but I guess I could reinstall stock and see if that's really the case.

Stock Pipe, Stock silencer. Jetting is Main 440,Pilot 40,Neddle is a E-4 . 40:1 all Recommended by Eric Gore and have worked out really well for the most part.Again it's hard to remember what the bike ran like with the stock reeds but I guess I could reinstall stock and see if that's really the case.

The 440 sounds pretty rich.  Might work ok up there in NY when it's down in the 30's-40's but probably too rich in the humid summer.  Especially since you are running 40:1 which makes it even richer (compared to 32:1).

For comparison, on my 2006 when I had the stock reeds and stock pipe/muffler, stock jetting was really good (410 main).  I now have the Boyesen Pro-Series dual stage, FMF factory-fatty, and FMF power core muffler.  I run a 400 main/42.5 pilot when it is 50's-70's and a 390 main/40 pilot when it is 80's-100's and always 32:1.  Bike rips.

The 440 sounds pretty rich.  Might work ok up there in NY when it's down in the 30's-40's but probably too rich in the humid summer.  Especially since you are running 40:1 which makes it even richer (compared to 32:1).

For comparison, on my 2006 when I had the stock reeds and stock pipe/muffler, stock jetting was really good (410 main).  I now have the Boyesen Pro-Series dual stage, FMF factory-fatty, and FMF power core muffler.  I run a 400 main/42.5 pilot when it is 50's-70's and a 390 main/40 pilot when it is 80's-100's and always 32:1.  Bike rips.

It's not quite that cold here in western NY but I get what your saying. Not to complicate matters more but does anyone have experience using one of these on a completely stock bike with the exception of jetting of course ??? http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1151/3275/V-Force-3-Reed-Valve?term=v force 3 reeds

I meant when it was 30's-40's in NY back in winter or early spring.