Sign in to follow this  

Which tires for my '14 KTM 350 exc f

I have a 2014 KTM 350 exc f. Just wondering which street tires I should go with. I'm very new to this area of dirt biking enduro / supermoto. I know I can order some from KTM that have dampening something for the sprocket? Also some very customizable from warp 9. I like the excel , only because I've heard good things and like the look, but they aren't available with the dampening? Any input would be helpful. Please tell me what you think. Mahalo from Hawaii. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401404922.310559.jpg

tire size is determined by your rim widths. make / model of tire depends on your riding needs.  More traction less life.  Cush drive sprockets are nice, expensive and IMHO not needed.  Your EXC should have fork and shock adjustments, learn what compression and rebound do.  Avon Distanzia seem to be popular for 21/18 rims.  Unless you have Govt budget, read up and get informed.  Buy performance, anything looks good with a paint job.  Way cheaper in the long run too,

Honestly it's a very nice solution to what I consider a nonexistant problem.  Cush drives do help chain life but chain stretch and sprocket tooth wear still happen.  Replacing a chain usually includes sprockets, if your budget allows then that's fine.  I use the economy steel sprockets, they live longer and my riding style doesn't notice.

There's several paths to 17" SM rims, KTM, Warp/Excel, lace new rim/spokes to KTM hubs, or adapt sportbike rims (Hooligan Mod).  I'm a cheap katonk, did the last one since I have the means to machine the rims / parts.

Penny pinch your fun budget, invest in good tires for your existing 21/18 rims.

Street survival drove me to do the Hooli Mod (not chicken) for rain tires.

Cush drive not needed.  I have been racing supermoto for a lot of years and haven't seen any issues from running a solid set up.  To the contrary I have a buddy with a 13' KTM that had a cush drive and he said it was horrible for racing applications.

• Like 1

Thank you so for your help guys. Many Mahalos!!! I know now I will NOT be throwing down 2k+ for the KTM whelels and tires.

Thank you so for your help guys. Many Mahalos!!! I know now I will NOT be throwing down 2k+ for the KTM whelels and tires.

i have seen lots of ktm hardpart wheel sets go for under a grand with tires and brakes.  The fronts are 16.5 on a lot of sets so watch out.  no DOT 16.5 tires, only racing slicks.

Warp9 for the money if you really want to go SM.  id say stick some kenda k761 or avon distanzia's on your stock rims unless you plan on racing.  If you want to race anything but the sportsman class you will want true SM rims with wide sticky tires, but for the street its more for looks in 90% of the cases.

I have a cush drive on my WR.  It should help the transmission last longer on the street.  It seems to weigh quite a bit more than a non-cush wheel though.

I'm in the same boat but for a 08 drz 400 I ride 70 off road 30 on and I want something that will ride nice but grab off road!

its been my experience that anything that works well on road will be mediocre off road.  The road eats up good off road tires, even if you balance them.  What kind of off road makes a big difference.  If you are just blasting up gravel roads or dirt roads then even some 100% street tires on SM rims will do.  My bike felt really stable at 50mph on gravel fire roads.  The issue comes when things get wet or you need to use your front brake. 

I was able to do this on some wet sloppy trails on Contiforce SM tires, but stopping or changing direction was very sketchy.

motofun4_zpsaf7461d7.jpg

Avon Distanzia is the goto tire of choice for most that want decent SM road grip without being shaken to death and a little grip off road.