Sign in to follow this  

06 Exc 450 carb issue

My 450 has a off idle problem. When bike is hot and I shut off the bike and sit for 10 mins or so it will fire up ok but as I ride it and feather the throttle off idle to 1/8th throttle the power comes on hard and when I let off it shuts down hard. If I run it out of fuel while riding it and turn on the petcock back on it will transition smooth from idle to 1/8th throttle. I put the jd kit for the heck of it. No change. Checked float. Not flooding. Valves in adjustment. Tried different fuel adjustments same issue

Thanks for the reply. Carb is clean. I ran a richer jet well before the problem started. I only have an issue when I shut bike off after it's hot. All vent hoses are clear also. It's been an issue for a couple years now. Run it out of gas. Turn gas on and it's fine. Weird

I'd suggest a full carb tear down and soak the carb body in a tank. Sounds like you've got some crud up in the carb body passages. What is the condition of all o-rings and carb slide, accelerator pump diaphragm?

Acc pump was changed last year when I put the j d kit in. I could check the slide out again. What other o rings can I check beside the acc pump assembly. When I first started to have the problem I had a bigger aftermarket tank on and thought it wasn't venting and was forcing fuel past the float needle That wasn't it. I'll see if I can get the body tanked and just go through everything again. The bike has been a rock. Just went over 2000 hrs on the engine,same clutch just had to put water pump seal kit this winter.