Sign in to follow this  

Lowered 92 KX250 - Want height back

Just rebuilt a 92 KX250 from a box of parts bought from a basement floor, and the seat height seems to be way low from the 38" or so stock seat height. I purchased some stock Dog Bones from EBay thinking this may have been how the bike was lowered, but they were the same as what was on it. What can I look at and measure to see what has been modified to lower this bike? I am 6'2" and want the height back to stock but don't want to keep buying parts for it only to find they do not help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Likely time to dive into the forks and shock and look for modifications, such as a spacer in the shock between the seal head and valve stack limiting extension.

The forks should be 39" from the bottom to the flat part of the cap (not to the top of the rebound adjuster).  Pull the shock apart, you should have a spacer under the piston.  Double check the shock spring length, Race Tech should have the length in your bike specs.

Thanks Jeekinz that sounds pretty straight forward. So on the rear shock, just pull it apart and toss the spacer under the piston and it should go back to stock height? As long as the spring is the stock length. The adjusting rings for the spring are right in the middle of the threads too.

From your other post with the pic it doesn't appear lowered, especially the front. What's the ground clearance at the frame rails. How much room rear tire to fender?

Yeah, bike doesn't really look lowered, but you'll want to service the shock anyway so no big deal taking the shock apart.  You need to post some sag measurements, seat height with bike on the ground, axle to top of fender with bike off the ground, etc.  Unless someone else has a 92 I can compare with my 94 which should be in the ballpark.

Her's what the lowering spacer might look like, the white piece:

IMG_0684.jpg

Thanks Jeekinz for the photo and help. Will pull it apart after I finish the engine work and service and remove the spacer. Just finished reading your entire 24 page 94 KX rebuild. I learned a lot from your post and your bike looks awesome! You hit every detail and it turned out awesome. Going to make a soda blaster too so I can turn my front yard white like Charlie Sheen sneezed - Had a good laugh on that one... Probably not going to rebuild to your extent, more for a decent rider. Thanks again

• Like 2

you're tall, the kx and kdx series will always feel like a trials bike under you. (does to me anyway)

if you put trials bend handle bars on it, they will help with your standing position a good deal. 

tall seats help too. 

make sure the linkage bearings are toasted. 

So I finally pulled the rear shock apart and to my surprise - no spacer! The linkage and dog bones all checks out to be stock. I am at a loss why this bike sits so low. Hole to hole on the shock mounts is 18". The only thing I can figure is the subframe has been chopped but I can't get anyone to give me good measurements.