Sign in to follow this  

Starting issues

Recently i got an 05 rmz450 for a great price, run great, but a few days ago it became a pain to start and will occasionally backfire when starting. Any idea on what might cause this? Easy fix or of to the shop?

• Like 1

I have a 06 rm-z450. I took it to the shop valves were fine but the carburetor need to be clean, new sparkplug now start at the first kick.

Thanks for the advice, taking it to cmp suspension to get the valves adjusted, an i just put a new spark plug in, hopefully that should

Solve the problem if not then ill get the carb cleaned

Any news on your bike?? I have a 2006 rmz450. I bought it and I couldn't get it to start. It would take 20 to 30 kicks!! The guy claimed it only had a hour on a rebuild. I got the bike to start but I messed with a black screw right under the choke I think k it might be the idle air mixture screw. Anyways I've tried bump starting the bike and get nothing. I've tried every variation of the screw and the bike won't start. I bought a new plug and cleaned my air filter and put new gas in. Still no luck. I'm so over this bike and I haven't even rode it yet! Have any ideas ??

Edited by chrislowermz450

Any news on your bike?? I have a 2006 rmz450. I bought it and I couldn't get it to start. It would take 20 to 30 kicks!! The guy claimed it only had a hour on a rebuild. I got the bike to start but I messed with a black screw right under the choke I think k it might be the idle air mixture screw. Anyways I've tried bump starting the bike and get nothing. I've tried every variation of the screw and the bike won't start. I bought a new plug and cleaned my air filter and put new gas in. Still no luck. I'm so over this bike and I haven't even rode it yet! Have any ideas ??

Im taking it in at the end of the season but after talking to a few 450 owners the valves are usally the issue. One guy got to the point of pop starting his Kawasaki by towing it behind a vehicle. Depending where you go it will cost between $150-350 (350 was at a power sports dealer 150 at cmp suspension). that's got to suck though, the rmz's are great for hill climbs and sand