2006 TTR-250 carburetor problems

Just purchased a 2006 ttr-250 which ran perfect except

I noticed it had a slow carburetor leak. I pulled the

The carb and replaced the diaphragm assembly which

Was stuck to the carb and bubbled. Now if I crack the

Throttle real quick the engine dies. If the choke is pulled out all the way it still dies about 50 % upon quick

Throttle.

So what do I have to adjust?

Thanks

Pretty new to this. .but it sounds like the valve needle is getting stuck or ur main jet us getting clogged...wouldn't hurt to get a carb rebuild kit also

Edited by dirtbreed

I think if the valve needle is getting stuck or the main jet clogged it would not run. It runs perfect, just not with quick Throttle turns. A rolling

throttle works fine.

I know with my buddy's bike...He had the same problem...and it ended up being the main jet was clogged....Some fuel was getting threw but not enough

Edited by dirtbreed

What has me confused is it ran perfect before

I changed the diaphragm. If the main jet was clogged before

I changed the part, I would think it would of had the problem

Before I changed the part correct.

Correct me if I’m wrong. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, I just don't know.

I know with my buddy's bike...He had the same problem...and it ended up being the main jet was clogged....Some fuel was getting threw but not enough

I hear ya...did u install the diaphragm right?...u might of installed the diaphragm backwards

I hear ya...did u install the diaphragm right?...u might of installed the diaphragm backwards

Funny, maybe that's why a funny metal tube is shooting from the bottom.

Double check that the accelerator pump went back together correctly if you took it off. Make sure the spring and oring(s) are in the right place, and that the diaphragm on the actuator is seated correctly.

That would easily explain the reluctance to take quick throttle openings.

Double check that the accelerator pump went back together correctly if you took it off. Make sure the spring and oring(s) are in the right place, and that the diaphragm on the actuator is seated correctly.

http://pdn1.vnexttech.com/yam/mcy/2006/ttr250v_vc/carburetor/assembly_files/11/2_3.png

I replaced # 35 and # 38. How do you know if the diaphragm is seated correctly. Would a weak spring # 37 cause the problem.

Edited by goodquest

http://www.yamahaparts1st.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004565bf8700209bc793048/carburetor

I replaced # 35 and # 38. How do you know if the diaphragm is seated correctly? Do you think a weak spring # 37 could cause the problem

I believe on the carb side, the diaphragm has a little lip on the outside edge that fits into a groove in the casting.  As far as how you know if it isn't seated, I think you just have to pop the cover off...

A weak spring could have an effect, but not enough to make it die unless the spring was left out or actually broken.  You can also remove the carb and manually give it gas to see if the pump is squirting fuel or not.  You would have to make sure it still had fuel in it, or you could hook it up to the gas tank while holding it..

Only other thing I am thinking of is to double check the jet sizes and needle position (if it's adjustable, I can't remember).  Maybe the problem you fixed is one that the previous owner worked around by jetting differently?

Since I had the Carburetor open I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere I could and used a compressor to blow everything Clean. I cleaned the pilot jet ,main jet and  then replaced the spring on the bottom of the diaphragm.  I did not replace the Needle valve because I was not going to deal with trying to remove the float pin. I put everything back together and the bike ran better, but would still stall about every third or fourth time with a quick turn of the throttle unless I had the RPMs up.  I then adjusted the needle valve. I turned it all the way in and then went out about 2-2 ½ turns. That seemed to work It does not stall, it might hastate a millisecond but it does not stall.  Then being the curious George I let the bike warm up and turned the needle valve all the way in and the bike still ran, but would Stall upon quick turning of the throttle. So I adjust the needle valve again out  2-2 ½  turns and The bike ran great with only the millisecond hesitation.

Now this bike has an aftermarket pipe, I have not checked the spark plug but I would like To go up 1 size in both the Pilot and main jet to be on the safe side, but when I called Yamaha they told me there are not bigger jets for the 2006 TTR-250.  

Suggestions

Thanks again

Google for ttr250 jets... They are out there, and one of the message boards tells which jets fit..

Ever get this resolved? I just purchased a 2005 TTR 250 for my father to ride with his sons and it has the same issue, certainly seems like an accelerator pump issue. I'm concerned it may stall on him at an inopportune time and cause a topple which I want to avoid as he is an older fella. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris