USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Finally found a good sprocket combo for Hwy and Trails

So after a few dollars and some trial and error I think I found a good sprocket combo for my XR4. With me using my bike to commute 20 miles to work at 55-60mph and hitting the trails on the way home a 16/45 is what I finally went with. My bike has a top speed of around 85mph ( riding the crap out of it) with a 120 90 18 rear tire. And on the trails I ride second gear is perfect for about for 90% of them. It lugs a little when the trail tightens but still but can clutch my way through it. IMO I think this combo works great if you will be daily driving your bike down the HWY. And still want to hit the trails.

Long live the Thumper..... Brrrraaaappppp!

• Like 1

New to the 4 stroke just got a xr400 gave it a gd clean waitin new graphics an goin to get new chain an sprockits glad I read this be for I ordered them as would like that little bit mor on top end

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401455043.980246.jpgrImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401455070.530204.jpg

at one time, there was a web site that talked about a 6 speed XR400.   The idea was that you replace all the hardware to remove your front sprocket with allen bolts and then with a couple allen wrenches in your pocket and an extra sprocket secured behind your number plate, you could quickly swap out to a higher or lower gear.  I did that when I was riding a fair amount of street.  I could change from full on road to full on dirt in about 3 minutes after I had done it a few times.

So after a few dollars and some trial and error I think I found a good sprocket combo for my XR4. With me using my bike to commute 20 miles to work at 55-60mph and hitting the trails on the way home a 16/45 is what I finally went with. My bike has a top speed of around 85mph ( riding the crap out of it) with a 120 90 18 rear tire. And on the trails I ride second gear is perfect for about for 90% of them. It lugs a little when the trail tightens but still but can clutch my way through it. IMO I think this combo works great if you will be daily driving your bike down the HWY. And still want to hit the trails.

:thumbsup:  Used that combo on the TAT and it was perfect. But in CO I go to the 14/15 ctr spkt.

:thumbsup: Used that combo on the TAT and it was perfect. But in CO I go to the 14/15 ctr spkt.

I now have 14,15,and 16 counter sprockets for it and am not running a chain cover. So if I know I am off roading for like full day I'll just swap to a 14 counter. But for my commute this is the perfect setup.

15/45 is stock for the xr400's correct?

When going to a 16 up front do you have to remove the chain guard?  How about the chain itself when going to a 16 - any need to add a link?

15/45 is stock for the xr400's correct?

When going to a 16 up front do you have to remove the chain guard? How about the chain itself when going to a 16 - any need to add a link?

Yea I think stock gearing ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401466415.109956.jpgis 15/45 not sure tho my bike came with a 14/48 combo. The chain is the same length and I removed my chain guard and made a custom case saver for it. With a 16t counter it is tight but still doesn't rub.(the picture is of a 15t the 16t puts the chain about a 1/16 away from the case saver)

The chain is the same length and I removed my chain guard and made a custom case saver for it. With a 16t counter it is tight but still doesn't rub.(the picture is of a 15t the 16t puts the chain about a 1/16 away from the case saver)

Thanks for the info.  So sounds like the stock chain guard/case saver won't work with a 16t.  Is there some place to buy a case saver that'll accommodate a 16t or is this only achieved thorugh custom fabrication as you've done?

I'm running a 16-47 week days and switch to a 15-47 for the week ends

Thanks for the info. So sounds like the stock chain guard/case saver won't work with a 16t. Is there some place to buy a case saver that'll accommodate a 16t or is this only achieved thorugh custom fabrication as you've done?

Nope the 16t counter sprocket wouldn't fit with the stock case saver. I never looked for an aftermarket one, it was just easier for me to make one.

Drill out the mount holes on stock case saver 2 sizes over what they are. If you still need more room, grind the width down just a little to make a bigger radius with the case saver. It'll fit with some tweaking. The cover will not fit back on without rubbing but the case saver is more important anyway.

The stock case saver fits just fine with the 16. The secret is in the installation. Remove the case saver, then hold the sprocket in position WITH the case saver, slip the sprocket AND case saver on at the same time. If you try to put the sprocket on with the saver in place the outer plates will hit and prevent it from going on. The case saver must be off and held BETWEEN the side plates up against the rollers to fit. When installed there is perfect clearance. No mods necessary.

The stock case saver fits just fine with the 16. The secret is in the installation. Remove the case saver, then hold the sprocket in position WITH the case saver, slip the sprocket AND case saver on at the same time. If you try to put the sprocket on with the saver in place the outer plates will hit and prevent it from going on. The case saver must be off and held BETWEEN the side plates up against the rollers to fit. When installed there is perfect clearance. No mods necessary.

never tried it that way but if it works it works!!

never tried it that way but if it works it works!!

How about some pics of your bike, looks like a nice one.

How about some pics of your bike, looks like a nice one.

I don't have any glam shot from after the fender conversion but there is one after pick.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401555130.455125.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401555150.986085.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401555186.818978.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401555197.469509.jpg