Sign in to follow this  

Finke desert race on Rmz 250

Hi

I'm in starting preparation on my 2013 Rmz 250 to race Finke in 2015 (hopefully place top 80). I am a experienced enduro competitor finishing 2nd in e1 in the West Australian state championship . I've been researching online to find the best power gains without sacrificing reliability and wanted to know ppls thoughts on a 270 big bore kit, pipe manufacturer, ecu, gearing and any other power gains. I've read average speeds are 90kph with top speed of 160kph.

I'll be getting my suspension revalved and installing a scotts steering stabilizer to help with the big sand whoops, high speed and extra weight from larger fuel tank.

Any other tips and info would be appreciated as I have no experience in desert racing.

Cheers

I'd get the Athena big bore 290cc kit. It will pull the taller gearing. The FMF megabomb and 4.1 are the common exhaust used with the big bore kit. Get some cams for top end and porting to allow it to flow. A 44 or 45 tooth rear sprocket will still allow slow speed in 1st yet give 160kph in 5th maxed out. You gotta post pics of the tank! Check a post I had earlier with running fuel in the frame. Can get .3 gallons fuel in frame spars. Remove back fire screen. Get a vortex ecu-the stock ecu will not be able to operate the big bore fuel needs. Reliability will not be an issue. Faster speeds will keep the bike cool. If built right it will still rev like a 250f and make around 42-44hp with oxygenated fuel.

Just make sure you don't buy a titanium exhaust, you want stainless due to the high exhaust temperatures that come with wide open throttle for extended periods of time. I've seen a few Ti exhausts melted during the finke.