Sign in to follow this  

Crash damage!?

So I managed to drop the bike on the grass out front of my house yesterday. Wife had just watered the garden/lawn and I got a little to grabby with the front brake and I got body slammed by my own bike. Bars are tweaked a little which is OK cause I wanted some new ones. But what concerns me is the one of the fork tubes appears to have slipped a mm or two in the triple clamps. Front fender is a little out of whack with tire! I'm really hoping loosening the clamps up and straightening everything out will fix it!? I wasn't going more than 20km. I did bend my shifter a bit, but I took it off and straightened it out. Still rode to work this am and it feels fine aside from the minor tweak in the bars. Someone pls tell me I haven't done anything to hurt my LRP permanently. I will loosen up front end and try and straighten it out when I get home, any advice aside from use a torque wrench?

I haven't taken a lick like that since I was a kid, I have a bruise on my side from knee to my rib cage. Stupid stupid stupid

1401457876880.jpg

1401457898671.jpg

I'd try adjusting that tube as soon as possible. Riding that way might do more damage than the actual fall.

But my guess is it's ok. Put it back to how it was and I think it'll be ok. Totally guessing though haha.

My most expensive repairs have been from little nothing drops likes that (not on the LRP.... yet).

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

This is very common and happens all the time. All you probably need is to is loosen the pinch bolts down on the axle and pump your forks a few times and it will align itself back to where it needs to be. The only time you need to loosen the triple clamp bolts is if one fork is higher up than the other in the tree. 

Edited by gnath9

Thanks guys, I was terrified I damaged something permanently. One of the fork tubes has either gone up or down a mm or two. I will lossen axle pinch bolt and tree a bit to align everything. Anyone know how much tubes protrude from top clamp? Does it matter as long as they are even? I can't determine if the tube got pushed or pulled, again its only a mm or two. Thanks again.

Thanks guys, I was terrified I damaged something permanently. One of the fork tubes has either gone up or down a mm or two. I will lossen axle pinch bolt and tree a bit to align everything. Anyone know how much tubes protrude from top clamp? Does it matter as long as they are even? I can't determine if the tube got pushed or pulled, again its only a mm or two. Thanks again.

You want them to be the same .... where they are set is up to you ...  :thumbsup:

from the factory there is very little coming out the top of my triple clamp...  just make them the same height...  i wouldn't really let out more then a 1/2" of tube... you would be fine to adjust your tubes to either the low height or hi height of your excisting tubes...  you have to loosen the triple clamps to get them even,then tighten them, and then do the pinch bolts and alignment...

just DON'T over tighten your triple tree bolts... there are lots of youtube videos on how to do this... they will help a lot...

Just loosening the axle pinch bolts won't do much for a tweaked front end as bad as yours is.

After a crash that tweaks your front end, try the following.

Elevate the bike and remove the front wheel.

Loosen the upper and lower fork pinch bolts, taking care the fork doesn't fall out.

Make sure both fork legs protrude from the upper triple tree the same distance.

Torque the brake side fork, bottom bolts first.

Torque the other side, bottom bolts first.

Install the wheel and axle, put bike back the ground and bounce the suspension up & down a few times to align the forks, then tighten the pinch bolts.

If you don't remove the wheel, it's very difficult to get the forks even due to the extra weight of the wheel.

Crappy pic, but here's the stock fork height, cap is just a tad above..

Capture_zpseca62245.jpg

Edited by humbug
  • Like 1

Just loosening the axle pinch bolts won't do much for a tweaked front end as bad as yours is.

After a crash that tweaks your front end, try the following.

Elevate the bike and remove the front wheel.

Loosen the upper and lower fork pinch bolts, taking care the fork doesn't fall out.

Make sure both fork legs protrude from the upper triple tree the same distance.

Torque the brake side fork, bottom bolts first.

Torque the other side, bottom bolts first.

Install the wheel and axle, put bike back the ground and bounce the suspension up & down a few times to align the forks, then tighten the pinch bolts.

If you don't remove the wheel, it's very difficult to get the forks even due to the extra weight of the wheel.

Crappy pic, but here's the stock fork height, cap is just a tad above..

Capture_zpseca62245.jpg

sorry, i have to ask just because i like to know stuff... lol   but is there a reason to tighten the brake side first? and do you do bottom bolts first on both sides then the top bolts starting with the brake side again? or do you do brake side (bottom then top) then clutch side (bottom then top)?

and thank you for explaining in a more efficient and thorough way then i did... hahaha   i knew it wasn't just the pinch bolts though, so that's why i chimed in...   thank you again

sorry, i have to ask just because i like to know stuff... lol   but is there a reason to tighten the brake side first? and do you do bottom bolts first on both sides then the top bolts starting with the brake side again? or do you do brake side (bottom then top) then clutch side (bottom then top)?

and thank you for explaining in a more efficient and thorough way then i did... hahaha   i knew it wasn't just the pinch bolts though, so that's why i chimed in...   thank you again

I pick the brake side (Not lever, but the fork the brake's mounted to) first out of habit, help keep things consistent from bike to bike.

Tighten one fork leg at a time. Bottom first, then the top, then repeat on the other leg.

One thing I should've mentioned- After your done and the front's still tweaked, remove the wheel, loosen the pinch bolts and loosen the big stem nut a little. Then start the fork torqueing process, followed by torqueing the stem nut, then loosening the upper pinch bolts on both sides, then tap on the upper triple with something soft, then re-torque the upper pinch bolts.

I know, it sounds like a hassle but after the big nut's loose and the forks are torqued (Aligning the triples with the forks) and then you torque the big nut down, it can cause stress to the upper triple. That's why you loosen the uppers, tap, then re-torque.

Hope this all makes sense.. Somebody please send me a free gopro... ;)

Edited by humbug
  • Like 2

These do not look that far out of whack in this picture ... If in fact they did slide ... they must have been loose from the factory or you slide into something going at a pretty good pace ...  :shocked:

either way it is an easy fix ...  :thumbsup:

post-396779-14014578978168.jpg

From this pic, it looks about as wacked as it gets..

post-396779-1401457879589.jpg

From this pic, it looks about as wacked as it gets..

I mean't the height of the forks in the triples ....

My boy went down on his 150 and it looked just like that pic ...  :lol:

All I did was loosen the axle and pinch bolts and it went right back where it belonged ...  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks guys I appreciate the info! I'll give it a go when I get home. I must be getting old because grass hurts more than it used to.

• Like 2

If that ever happens on a ride just find a tree and use it to tap the wheel straight.  It happens all the time on old school 43mm forks.

• Like 3

If that ever happens on a ride just find a tree and use it to tap the wheel straight.  It happens all the time on old school 43mm forks.

This is exactly how I fixed Noah's 150 on the trails .... once we got home ... I did loosen up the axle to make sure it was in proper alignment ...  :thumbsup:

He clipped a tree with his right side of the bars in second gear at a good pace and I think it pushed his front brake lever in and locked his front wheel up and basically tossed him like a rag doll ....  :lol:

so far to date .... this was his worse crash ..  :shocked:

• Like 2

This is exactly how I fixed Noah's 150 on the trails .... once we got home ... I did loosen up the axle to make sure it was in proper alignment ...  :thumbsup:

He clipped a tree with his right side of the bars in second gear at a good pace and I think it pushed his front brake lever in and locked his front wheel up and basically tossed him like a rag doll ....  :lol:

so far to date .... this was his worse crash ..  :shocked:

Life is a learning experance --did he learn anything by the crash?? Hope he wasn't hurt-- :thumbsup:  :ride:  

• Like 1

Life is a learning experance --did he learn anything by the crash?? Hope he wasn't hurt-- :thumbsup:  :ride:  

Yes he did .... he learned not to try to keep up with a faster rider than him thru the tight woods ....  :p   

he was not hurt too bad .... had a sore wrist for a few days ... weird thing was it was his left wrist ... must have been from hitting the ground ....  :excuseme:  he went down hard ... like I said ... he got tossed ... bucked ... ejected etc ....  :lol:

I was behind him and he went down hard enough for me to just drop my bike and run to him ...  :eek:  it only scared me for a moment or so ....  :facepalm:

• Like 2

Hey guys, just thought I'd give an update after. I bought ProTaper bars and 1 1/8 adapters. I paid the extra 10 bucks for the Metal Mulisha paint scheme cause I'm a sucker like that, don't judge me. Front end straightened out really easily once triples were loose. I drilled the bars for the throttle and removed the other two guide pins. Used a single layer of gorilla tape to prevent the other controls from rotating. I wanted more rise and less sweep and I realize these are FMX bars but they fulfilled both needs.......and have sweet skulls. Handling felt a little bit twitchier and I don't know if its cause bars are considerably longer or because I lowered shock tubes about 5mm in the triples. Nothing unsafe just a little more sensitive also starting to feel seat sloping backwards when leaving a light. So after work I got some tips from TT on adjusting rear shock pre load, a little WD40 and lockring came loose with 2 taps with a BFH. Ran preload collar down as far as I dared and WOW what a difference!!! Handles way better, me thinks this is the first thing I should have adjusted as I weigh about 210lbs. This small adjustment made such a large difference I now want to give RaceTech some of my money. So overall I'm very happy, thanks again for the advice.

1401921232983.jpg

1401921256020.jpg

• Like 2

The twitchier feeling would be from lowering the front and raising the rear, changes your geometry and makes the handling feel different, less rake.  If you were to do the opposite and lower the rear/add more rake in the front, it would make the steering more stable, but it would be less nimble on slow tight trails, etc.

• Like 4

. Ran preload collar down as far as I dared and WOW what a difference!!! Handles way better, me thinks this is the first thing I should have adjusted as I weigh about 210lbs. This small adjustment made such a large difference I now want to give RaceTech some of my money. So overall I'm very happy, thanks again for the advice.

I weigh 225-ish, and I went full amount on preload and it helped, but if you think that helped, hahaha, oh man, you'll love Race Tech. Entirely different bike now.

• Like 3