Sign in to follow this  

When to rebuild a 2006 Kx250f

I was going to look at a 2006 kx250f and Its has about 30 hours on it (never raced) and I was wondering after how many hours it should be rebuilt and what the signs are of a rebuild being needed. I am not going to race it for a little chunk of time but i will be riding it often. Thanks A lot 

I was going to look at a 2006 kx250f and Its has about 30 hours on it (never raced) and I was wondering after how many hours it should be rebuilt and what the signs are of a rebuild being needed. I am not going to race it for a little chunk of time but i will be riding it often. Thanks A lot 

Here is the bike http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4481422194.html

I would say every 60-80 hours. You can tell with a loss of power or smoke comin out of the exhaust that's the biggest giveaway. Most important things are the valves, keep those adjusted and everything will be good. I hate 4 strokes!!! LOL

I would say every 60-80 hours. You can tell with a loss of power or smoke comin out of the exhaust that's the biggest giveaway. Most important things are the valves, keep those adjusted and everything will be good. I hate 4 strokes!!! LOL

haha thanks

Well first off that bike does not have only 30 hours on it IMO. You would be hard pressed to find any motocross bike that is 8 years old to have that low of hours. And if it truely only had 30 hours it would look a lot cleaner than that bike.

Now to answer your question about needing a rebuild is its tough to say. You really have no idea how many actual hours, how the bike bike was ridden in those hours, and what kind of regular maintenance was done to the bike. I'd ask the seller to not warm the bike up before you get there. Feel the engine cases and cylinder when you get there to make sure he didn't. The bike should start up in a few kicks. If its hard to start the valves are probably in need of attention. When you give it throttle there should be no blue or white smoke. I also like to cover the exhaust outlet of the muffler with my hand to quiet the exhaust noise so i can listen to the engine.

Even after you go through all that and everything seems good it may grenade the first time you take it out. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while and can get it for a good price I would recommend at least puting a top end, cam chain, inspecting the bottom end and valve clearances so at least you have a good idea of what you have.

Seems to good to be true and you know what that leads to. But you never know. Ask if actual hour meter was installed. If not you can double an estimated amount. Depending how it's ridden and maintained will determine rebuild. 30 hours is ok if oil and air filter were changed often. If not a top end is probably needed. 100 hours I'd start thinking of crank but depends on care which hopefully you can pin down

My buddy owns the same bike and bought it for 1500, however it needed several hundred to get it up to speed.

I will tell you that there is a design flaw on the shift detent pin casting boss on the RH case. With some abuse, they break. Several people and myself have had this happen. Even happened twice to some.

I have videos on how-to adjust valves as well as top/bottom end videos. Let me know if you are interested in these.