Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike protection question

Hi,

I am not a relatively new rider but a relatively new dirt bike rider.  I bought all of the standard dirt biking safety gear including: helmet, goggles, HANS, body armor, pants, knee/shin guards, boots, gloves.  After laboring to put all of this on, I feel very vulnerable in my pelvic area, hips, lower spine, butt and thighs.  As such, I was wondering why most moto pants do not have this protection?  But more importantly, is there something that can be done to protect this area?  Hockey pants would be the perfect solution.  I saw that some riders ride with these and love them except for the fact that they make their butts look big lol but do the chicks really notice and care?

SR

Hi,

I am not a relatively new rider but a relatively new dirt bike rider.  I bought all of the standard dirt biking safety gear including: helmet, goggles, HANS, body armor, pants, knee/shin guards, boots, gloves.  After laboring to put all of this on, I feel very vulnerable in my pelvic area, hips, lower spine, butt and thighs.  As such, I was wondering why most moto pants do not have this protection?  But more importantly, is there something that can be done to protect this area?  Hockey pants would be the perfect solution.  I saw that some riders ride with these and love them except for the fact that they make their butts look big lol but do the chicks really notice and care?

SR

Some pants come with arse padding.

Usually dirt crashes are slow in comparison to street. Hence you just want to protect your core areas and have good airflow.

You could get a back protector / pressure suit and kidney belt too.

Hi,

SR

This is not uncommon for newer riders, but you'll find that pelvic protection is rarely needed.  Riding pants usually come with hip pads but I toss them away because they are more hassle than anything.

Here's what I wear, been riding my whole life and I've found this stuff to be sufficient:

1. Helmet
  2. Boots
  3. Goggles
  4. Gloves
  5. Pants
  6. Jersey
  7. Knee pads
  8. Elbow guards (Liatt makes the best elbow guards bc they never slip down your forarms)
  9. Riding socks
  10. Chest protector

the only thing out of that i would really worry about is your lower spine.

that's the primary reason i wear a pressure suit instead of a chest protector. (the other reason is the built in elbow protection that actually stays put and does not cause arm pump). pressure suits tend to have a back protector that extends down lower and protects your lower spine.

the one i use is an alpinestars bionic II "jacket". provides excellent spine protection including for my lower spine.

https://www.denniskirk.com/alpinestars/bionic-2-jacket.p3410890.prd/3410890XXL.sku

alpinestars and others also make shorts that you wear under your moto pants that provide tailbone protection and some thigh protection:

https://www.denniskirk.com/alpinestars/bionic-freeride-shorts.p3415599.prd/3415599L.sku

i have a pair, but never wear them. i crash a lot, but haven't found that i actually need any of that protection...and they get a bit hot in the summer.

• Like 1

Hi,

SR

How about ordering yourself a bubble instead, would you like that?  Huh... huh, boy in the bubble?

There are things called kidney belts that are more of a support system for exactly that the lower back and kidneys. How ever most pants come with side pads these will help with bruising and such. Most crashes you have will be with the shoulder and knees getting the blunt of the crash thus the protection on these areas. Also you do lots of movement to ride a dirt bike which means you need to move a lot in the waste region.

Here is a Kidney Belt http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Fox-Racing-2014-Turbo-Kidney-Belt

Hope this helps!

You'll find that in a crash, these areas of your body are VERY durable. They may get bruised but they are very rarely broken. Thus, no need for this unnecessary padding that heats you up and binds movements.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am not a relatively new rider but a relatively new dirt bike rider. I bought all of the standard dirt biking safety gear including: helmet, goggles, HANS, body armor, pants, knee/shin guards, boots, gloves. After laboring to put all of this on, I feel very vulnerable in my pelvic area, hips, lower spine, butt and thighs. As such, I was wondering why most moto pants do not have this protection? But more importantly, is there something that can be done to protect this area? Hockey pants would be the perfect solution. I saw that some riders ride with these and love them except for the fact that they make their butts look big lol but do the chicks really notice and care?

SR

Kidney belts are normally worn for support. But the one I wear offers some protection to the lower back as well. It sort of covers where the chest protector leaves off:

Moose11_Kidney-Belt.jpg

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

Kidney belts are normally worn for support. But the one I wear offers some protection to the lower back as well. It sort of covers where the chest protector leaves off:

Moose11_Kidney-Belt.jpg

Yep i wear the same one to support my lower back after that spinal fusion , i feel more secure wearing it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was scared to click on the link at first. I remember the last time someone tried that "under the pants" thing...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I have the Leatt Adventure upper body armor, which has a "kidney belt" bit not the hard protection around the tailbone. Thanks!

LOL Honda Power. Your mom said the same thing when I was in her.

Maybe the fact you weren't wearing a "bubble" is why we have Honda Power?

• Like 3

First off. . You are worried about protection. Them chicks?

Which is it?

After a few broken bones and a couple bad spills I've learned chucks like the ones who make anything look good and walk away. Whether it be a heads crash or a 120 ft table.

Other then hockey pants you are on you own.

Neck brace

ELBOW PADS

KNEE PADS

GOOD HELMET

WRIST PROTECTION

RIB PROTECTION BLINKER FLUID

BALLS?

nothing wrong with being safe but honestly. .. I'd you need thigh and pelvic gaurds. By that time you FU. C KED... hip yes. But good pants do have pads. In fact most do.

I guess I should have clarified that I am a trail rider and if it were about just crashing, I would be less worried about riding in a bubble. I also ride fire roads, where there are other bikers and motorized vehicles, including I would assume, drunk loggers. As such, I guess I have subconsciously been blending safety to cover dirt and "road". I participate in a lot of other sports and don't want to miss days due to injury. Lastly, how do wrist guards work with throttling, braking and clutching?

Get some nice padded shorts.  I also sometimes wear body armor with a spine protector.  Don't listen to these guys.  You will be glad the first time you crash.  You can choose to wear some or all depending on the type of riding you are doing.

Also you said you are tall.  I am 6'3" and gear tends to slide up or down exposing the middle area.  I long jersey helps keep things together.

• Like 1