Sign in to follow this  

01 CR250 ignition system

Before I get abunch of wise guys lol Let me state I build MOTORS not electrical systems! 

I want to upgrade the entire electrical system on my 01.. I want a lighting stator and a "high performance" CDI and coil. 

The motor is 100% stock altho it is also getting VForce reeds and has a FMF Fatty on it. 

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions on what the best aftermarket components are and maybe a link or "heres where" I can get them please? Thanx in advance. 

After realizing thru my own searches that Vortex is the only one making CDIs for an 01.. Im NOT apparently replacing my electrical system because it seams pretty retarded to spend $535 on one when mine is just fine!! I will still need a lighting stator tho and I cannot find any clear answers even tho there is tons of threads about them. Nobody seems to know anything about them on any forum! 

The more I look the more I am realizing this was all probably a bad idea.. Nobody has anything useful to say because there is NOTHING useful to say lol the only company making a lighting stator for my bike pretty much admits "this thing is junk and dont buy it unless you wanna F you ride up" Sooo I guess sell my beloved CR and buy a KTM that has a headlight already on it! 

• Like 1

Have you checked out these guys,

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/home

I have used there stuff and it works good. I would buy a flywheel that works with the stator if they offer one. Sometimes the magnets in the stock flywheel won't work with an aftermarket stator.

Have you checked out these guys,

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/home

I have used there stuff and it works good. I would buy a flywheel that works with the stator if they offer one. Sometimes the magnets in the stock flywheel won't work with an aftermarket stator.

Yeah they are selling the junker electrosports stators. At least that was all I saw.

Any lighting stator used with a stock flywheel will only put out about 35 watts. We offer this and also offer a high output kit with a new flywheel using stronger magnets to increase the lighting to about 100 wattts

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/honda-cr250r-pole-watt-lighting-stator-flywheel-p-711.html

I looked at that.. I decided it cant be a good idea because it says it fits 99-01 but 99 is a completely different electrical system from an 01. Call me crazy but that dont seem legit to me.. 

Rickystator is well regarded.  They know more about bike electcal systems than you or most anyone else here.  It's pretty cool that they're offering a real high output stator for these engines that will be of decent quality and wattage.

'92-'01 engines are the same generation, so electrical parts are likely swappable.

• Like 3

The cases are the same basically from 92 - 01, the ignitions vary widely, analog ended in 96, 97 was first year of digital. 97 and 98 ran power jet carbs and the CDI and stator are different than the 99 - 01 units. That ricky stator is where I'd lay my $ down.

I'd take that stock stator off your hands if you don't need it or the whole system.

Sorry I havent had internet for a while to be able to get back to this. Basically I would just like to clear this up real quick. Regardless of what any manufacturer claims a product they are selling will fit.. I had a 99 and an 01 sitting next to each other in my garage (Had because I have sold the 99 already) But I can 100% assure you that a 99 CDI IS NOT the same as an 01. So yall can listen to a seller and buy the wrong parts OR you can simply look at the obvious differences in the 2 bikes and save your money. 

That being said you are correct about one thing. The cases are the same and the stators do bolt up and work IF you change the CDI to match because its the CDI that is different.

I have also decided to sell my 01 CR250 and buy a KTM EXC as soon as I can so that I dont have to worry any longer about this retarded lighting nightmare. 

Sorry I havent had internet for a while to be able to get back to this. Basically I would just like to clear this up real quick. Regardless of what any manufacturer claims a product they are selling will fit.. I had a 99 and an 01 sitting next to each other in my garage (Had because I have sold the 99 already) But I can 100% assure you that a 99 CDI IS NOT the same as an 01. So yall can listen to a seller and buy the wrong parts OR you can simply look at the obvious differences in the 2 bikes and save your money. 

That being said you are correct about one thing. The cases are the same and the stators do bolt up and work IF you change the CDI to match because its the CDI that is different.

I have also decided to sell my 01 CR250 and buy a KTM EXC as soon as I can so that I dont have to worry any longer about this retarded lighting nightmare. 

Just to clear this up so there is no confusion for others in the future, the same stator is used on the 99-01 CR250. Our stator kit works on the 99-01. 

• Like 2

Just to clear this up so there is no confusion for others in the future, the same stator is used on the 99-01 CR250. Our stator kit works on the 99-01. 

I wish I was better with computers so I could upload pictures. But by all means since we dont want any confusion please tell us how your 99-01 stator will plug into a 99 cdi which is a 2 plug design AND a 01 cdi which is a single plug. 

I wish I was better with computers so I could upload pictures. But by all means since we dont want any confusion please tell us how your 99-01 stator will plug into a 99 cdi which is a 2 plug design AND a 01 cdi which is a single plug. 

You must not have bothered to check the link I posted. Our stator does not include the wire harness, it splices back into your OEM stator harness.

You must not have bothered to check the link I posted. Our stator does not include the wire harness, it splices back into your OEM stator harness.

If I bought it and realized I had to solder my own wiring harness to a brand new part I would have been super shitty! Your link does not disclose that. 

"Ricky Stator now offers a 100 watt lighting coil kit for the 1999-2001 CR250R. This kit includes a new stator and high output flywheel. The stator must be installed back on the original stator plate."

Direct quote from your link. At no point does it say anything about having to splice parts together. 

Everyone likes a bolt in part, but a little soldering or some butt connectors isn't a huge drama. The reality of dirt biking is a lot of MacGuyvering parts together.

• Like 1

Everyone likes a bolt in part, but a little soldering or some butt connectors isn't a huge drama. The reality of dirt biking is a lot of MacGuyvering parts together.

And that would be fine if your going to disclose that its not a bolt in. But to not say that a brand new part needs "tweeked" to work. And constantly argue it goes right in. That means they dont want you to know its not a bolt in. When a new part says it fits a machine it should bolt into that machine! What if I dont have the ability to solder. Now I have to pay for the part and pay a mechanic. You dont buy handle bars and "bend em to your liking" no you buy them with the bends you want. Maybe a bad example but whatever you get the point. Were not buying used shit off ebay and "making it work" It should just work!   

The more I look the more I am realizing this was all probably a bad idea.. Nobody has anything useful to say because there is NOTHING useful to say lol the only company making a lighting stator for my bike pretty much admits "this thing is junk and dont buy it unless you wanna F you ride up" Sooo I guess sell my beloved CR and buy a KTM that has a headlight already on it! 

Nevermind 

Edited by Beau 88