Sign in to follow this  

2007 ktm300xc or 2011 kx450

Hey guys I'm currently torn between 2 bikes I'm considering at my local dealer one is a 2007 ktm 300 xc that is in excellent condition no major mods done to it, the other bike is a 2011 kx 450 in really good shape completely stock. I ride woods 99% of the time both open and single track. I never do any mx riding. Both bikes are the exact same price. To anyone that owns either of these bikes can you tell me the advantages or disadvantages to them. How would the kx be in the woods? I know the ktm's are lethal woods weapons but what about the 2007 model?

I would not buy a kickstart four stroke if I rode a lot of places where my group is full of other guys with e-start. They're constantly shutting down to chat and then restart with the button. Then there's the stalling issue which also needs restarts. No problem when you have a kick only two stroke. I haven't had a FI four stroke so it may be better than the carbureted four strokes I'm using for reference.

If you're over 200 lbs then I'd say 450 if you have experience and the restarts are ok with you. 300 if not.

The 450 power is very nice but so is the 300 with red power valve spring.

I don't get how these two bikes are the same price.  Regardless, this might be easiest 'what bike should I buy' post yet.  The KX450 is NOT a trail bike, it's an mx bike.  The KTM 300 is a woods/trail specific bike.  So if you are riding 99% trails, the KTM is a no brainer.

I've never owned a KX, but I had a 2006 250XC and currently have a 2013 300XC. I loved them both, but the 300 has got to be the ultimate woods weapon if you want a big bore. It's got the low end grunt of a 4T, with all the fun snap of a 2T. I love the way the transmission is geared, and you can lug it all day or rip it on the pipe. It's happy either way.

Like shrubitup said, I would shy away from kicking a big bore 4T in the woods. I watch my buddies kick and kick after a short break. Sometimes they won't even shut them down, then they start overheating. I just hit the button and carry on :thumbsup:

That KX is also going to be geared more for the track. Some of the fastest guys I have seen in the woods are on MX bikes, but the 300 is just so versatile that that would be the bike I would recommend