Sign in to follow this  

Oil Residue on Front of Engine

I went for a spin on my 2005 CRF250X last Saturday. After 15 miles I noticed lots of dirt build up on the front of my engine that appeared to be held in place by Oil residue. My friend's 2007 CRF250X was completely dry, dirt free in the same spots. I brought the bike home, washed if off and confirmed that it was Oil on the front of the engine. I ran the bike for 3 minutes after washing and could not locate a leak. The Engine Oil level was perfect. I intend to check the Tranny Oil tomorrow. A thought occured to me that my Son had nose dived the bike into a water filled ditch two weeks prior to this. The bike was stuck with the rear wheel up an embankment and the front end way nose down and slightly side ways, tilted. When inspecting the engine this past weekend I observed that the Oil residue was from the top of the engine all the way down to my Skid Plate.  

I intend to take the seat and tank off to get a better look, but I was wondering if the oil could be a result of the bike being ass high for 30 minutes, or it's just a plain old oil leak, but from where since the residue is all the way up to the Spark Plug Boot?

Any suggestions on where to begin looking that would perhaps save me some time? 

Thanks

but I was wondering if the oil could be a result of the bike being ass high for 30 minutes

More than likely that.   Oil under the valve cover pooled at the front of the motor and seeped past the gasket. Might even be the base cylinder gasket if it was up high enough.

Just wash everything off, then check oil level and for signs of leakage frequently for a while.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman