Sign in to follow this  

Engion reccomendation

Hello all,

Let me first explain I'm not a expert in the field of dirt /ATV bikes. I restore old cars as a hobby and have been able to make a small profit on past projects, beer money mainly. A year or so ago a neighbor brought over a go-kart body, a fiberglass jeep body. Built a frame, steering, live axles, padded seat and installed a 3 1/2 HP briggs. Nice paint / stickers. DONE. He liked it so well a buddy of his brought another over. Bigger wheels, tires, 5 HP engine. DONE. So starts a new hobby. The last project was a 41 Ford 1/4 scale fiberglass body. 6 1/2 HP Honda, torque converter clutch, chrome wheels, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horn etc. As you probably figured out these projects are getting more evolved.

Here is where I need your help. I'm working on a 29 Ford roadster, about 7 foot long. This will not be for a small child. I would like to install a 90-125 cc engine. HOWEVER I am tight on space in the rear of the kart.

I need a 90-125 cc (or so) engine. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, (I don't care), but must be an electric start, and have a semi automatic 3 or 4 speed065.JPG166.JPG165.JPG transmission. Ill try to post picks of what I'm doing. Thanks all. Mark

Hello all,

Let me first explain I'm not a expert in the field of dirt /ATV bikes. I restore old cars as a hobby and have been able to make a small profit on past projects, beer money mainly. A year or so ago a neighbor brought over a go-kart body, a fiberglass jeep body. Built a frame, steering, live axles, padded seat and installed a 3 1/2 HP briggs. Nice paint / stickers. DONE. He liked it so well a buddy of his brought another over. Bigger wheels, tires, 5 HP engine. DONE. So starts a new hobby. The last project was a 41 Ford 1/4 scale fiberglass body. 6 1/2 HP Honda, torque converter clutch, chrome wheels, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horn etc. As you probably figured out these projects are getting more evolved.

Here is where I need your help. I'm working on a 29 Ford roadster, about 7 foot long. This will not be for a small child. I would like to install a 90-125 cc engine. HOWEVER I am tight on space in the rear of the kart.

I need a 90-125 cc (or so) engine. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, (I don't care), but must be an electric start, and have a semi automatic 3 or 4 speedattachicon.gif065.JPGattachicon.gif166.JPGattachicon.gif165.JPG transmission. Ill try to post picks of what I'm doing. Thanks all. Mark

TTR90E, TTR110E

KLX110 etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Yamaha-Ttr90-/151312465843?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233aecffb3&vxp=mtr

I'd recommend a quad engine. They have a torquier cam to move around the greater weight. I expect you'd be able to pick up an entire kid's quad on CL for less than an engine with carb and electrics from ebay.

The Honda TRX90X would probably be the dream engine- 4stroke, electric start, 4 speed automatic clutch. But dunno if you'd find one cheaply.

Lots of older small quads have that setup though, and cheap in beat-up but running shape. I think Honda has by far the best quality.

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 4

Lifans are cheap but get good reviews with power and reliability . Everyone does recommend you dismantle the entire engine just to re-torque everything due to it being made on a high volume assembly line and it just doesn't get done. Or some get missed . A lot of people are going back to the KT100 but i don't know about electric start. 

I'd recommend a quad engine. They have a torquier cam to move around the greater weight. I expect you'd be able to pick up an entire kid's quad on CL for less than an engine with carb and electrics from ebay.

The Honda TRX90X would probably be the dream engine- 4stroke, electric start, 4 speed automatic clutch. But dunno if you'd find one cheaply.

Lots of older small quads have that setup though, and cheap in beat-up but running shape. I think Honda has by far the best quality.

+1

Thanks Beau 88,

A Honda TRX90X does sound to have the rite parts I need. But the engine jug sits straight out from the crank shaft. Because of the space I have in the rear section I will need a 90 degree engine. Even with this set-up I will need to build a jack shaft to power the kart. A CL quad or dirt bike is what I'm looking for. As you say this will give me all the electronics I need. Can you come up with another engine or option?

Again Thanks 

CRF50 motors can rip pretty hard with an 88 kit.  They make bigger kits as well and all sorts of upgrades/parts are out there to tinker with them.

LT80s have mean little motors and a cvt belt system. 2 stroke.

Polaris/eton 90s were mean little suckers too. 2 stroke.

• Like 1

My sister and her husband live in Kentucky, so I know for a fact that at least TWO people from KY can spell "Engine."  And "Recommendation."  LOL

It's Doug from "The King of Queens". N-G-I-OHN.

Forgo all of that little engine bill crap. Get a cr 500 engine. MAKE IT FIT.

• Like 3

I was gonna say something similar...im picturing it ripping the entire thing to shreds with horsepower...ending up with a cr motor/rear end assembly flying down the street at like 80

• Like 2

I was gonna say something similar...im picturing it ripping the entire thing to shreds with horsepower...ending up with a cr motor/rear end assembly flying down the street at like 80

Hahaha. YouTube worthy

• Like 2

In High School, me and two friends put a Kawasaki 350 triple on a swivel go-cart frame. We built a roll cage, rigged a shifter and clutch pedal. That thing was scary stinkin' fast!

It eventually holed a piston, and we just kinda lost interest in it.

• Like 1

A 125 2t would work if you just used shifter kart parts for linkages and stuff , a lot of that stuffs on ebay cheap . Engine mounts and all kinds of other stuff . I've been thinking of a build i want to do myself cr250 engine in a mini sand rail with long travel suspension using motocross forks  :rolleyes: