Sign in to follow this  

KTM 300 After getting powdercoated

well, not sure why i didnt check this sooner, but i finally got around to removing the paint from where the vin is supposed to be to get ready to go get an out of state inspection, and there is no vin, am i looking in the wrong place or what? heres a couple pics of the issue, i was under the impression that where i wire wheeled gently was the correct spot to find the vin, The bike is not in my name yet but i do have a notarized bill of sale from the registered owner and the title in my possession, any suggestions? The powdercoat guy said it would be under the paint, well it isnt, just not really sure what to do hereIMG_2526.JPGIMG_2527.JPGIMG_2528.JPGIMG_2530.JPG 

well, not sure why i didnt check this sooner, but i finally got around to removing the paint from where the vin is supposed to be to get ready to go get an out of state inspection, and there is no vin, am i looking in the wrong place or what? heres a couple pics of the issue, i was under the impression that where i wire wheeled gently was the correct spot to find the vin, The bike is not in my name yet but i do have a notarized bill of sale from the registered owner and the title in my possession, any suggestions? The powdercoat guy said it would be under the paint, well it isnt, just not really sure what to do hereattachicon.gifIMG_2526.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2527.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2528.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2530.JPG

Your are looking in the correct spot.  I had the same issue with my 2006, the VIN never made it into the metal of the frame.  KTM uses a stupid dot matrix way of stamping the VIN after they powder coat the frame.  I used chemicals to strip the paint and I could see hints of the VIN as I cleaned the frame but as soon as I cleared away all the stock paint the VIN was gone.  Luckily I still had the original MSO and the engine number was listed as well.

• Like 1

Spot on MotoX178!  I have had three frames powdercoated orange now and the last one was just one week ago.  I have had to be very, very detailed with them about covering up the vin before any blasting or sanding and again while the powder is applied and baked.  KTM's VIN etching process is so light, it is very easy to sandblast or even sandpaper the numbers away.  The one I had last week came back with the last number of the vin completely gone.  Powdercoater immediately apologized when I showed up  and said that he did not have it completely masked off but thought he could be careful enough in that area and avoid contact with his blasting media but, he said he barely sprayed on it and the number was instantly gone.  Oh well.  Like MotoX178 states above, I believe the only hope is to match the engine vin to the MSO or title but even then, it may not be acceptable to the powers that be becuase, obviously, the engines can easily be swapped...

• Like 1

bout to just restamp it, put to much money into the bike to not be able to get the title or have it confiscated if a cop tries to run the vin, i dont believe the engine number is on the title but ill check real quick and get back to you guys

my buddy is saying it could possibly be here?  what do you guys think before i go sand the shit out of my frame more attachicon.gif1 (1).jpg

No, it is not there.  It is exactly where you were looking in the first picture of your original post.

One idea I had was to re-stamp it on a plate and have it welded to the frame.  You could also just see if someone could stamp directly into the frame for you.  As long as you have the documentation you should be fine.  I'm still surprised KTM is using the same crappy process so many years later.  I have re-painted many Japanese frames and the VINs are much deeper into the metal.