Sign in to follow this  

Brake pads for XR650L

I swapped wheels last night and noticed that if I use the brakes much more, I'll be grinding metal to metal - both front and rear.

So I noticed a month or two back that Brian Hare had a new set of Galfer pads for his bike: TR-206579 and TR-206585.  They're listed as HH Sintered Ceramic.  The description sounds like everything you would want in a brake pad other than maybe low cost - they're about $42 per wheel on the site that I checked.

Can any of you come up with any arguments to convince me to go with some other pads?

Edited by ScottRNelson

:devil:

Seriously though..the Galfer pads and rotors work well..i was pleasantly surprized...i did gain better stopping,definately more in the rear which always kinda sucked..but part of this is due to the new rotors...

One thing to keep in mind Scott,you`ll never get really good braking power if the rotors are grooved and tapered..if a person had enough metal on these rotors to machine them you`d certainly notice the difference with a nice flat rotor that`s not tapered towards the outer edge,,the pads will wear tapered,and you get a spongey pedal..whether you use Galfer or EBC sintered pads..

I had no issuess with the EBC sintered pads,braking was good..certainly cheaper too...if you ride off road alot,definately use a sintered pad,,the carbon ones get eaten by dirt in short order,,BTDT.

B

Edited by brianhare