Sign in to follow this  

Washington New to WA - OffRoad Bike Tag? Places to Ride near Spokane?

I moved up to Spokane last summer and I have seen some bikes with tags on them, so I guess I need to avoid Johnny Law and register my "08 YZ450.  The DOL site is less than helpful, so can someone help direct me where to go and what the cost is?

Second part - Can anyone tell me some good places to ride and would anyone be willing to let me tag along on a ride?  I am a pretty descent rider and raced the Amateur class in NV, and was bumped to the Expert class right before I left, so I shouldn't hold anyone up too much.   :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Klint

• Like 1

I'm right across the border in ID, so I can't give much legal advice beyond getting a spark arrestor. As far as riding areas go, are you solely into the high speed desert stuff? Do you ride tight woods stuff too? I'd be happy to take you out to my stomping grounds some time after I'm healed up; I wrecked my shoulder last weekend.

I appreciate the offer and I love riding in the woods! (Almost no dust!!)  I have gotten away from the high speed stuff, crashes at high speed hurt too much!, but I have been playing around Loon Lake a bit, but it's mostly logging roads and some minor single track.  I did hear there were some good trails near Usk, but I have no idea.  Heal fast and we'll hook up!

Thanks

Lpo is a good area, what part of Spokane?, just out of cda is some great single track. And any dol should be able to transfer your title for you but i'm not sure of the cost I wouldn't think it would be to much. I'd be glad to let you go with me, but with the wife and kids I often load up with very short notice when I ride.

Edited by dirtbikeking843

Do I need a tag or anything to ride the ID side?  Or is it wide open?  What is Lpo?

Do I need a tag or anything to ride the ID side?  Or is it wide open?  What is Lpo?

Generally, If you are legal in WA, you are legal in ID. If I understand correctly, your off road tags are good here for up to x amount of days of constant riding, but I've never crossed paths with another rider, let alone an LEO. But feel free to donate $12 to the cause if you want for your very own ID sticker!

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but LPO is the Little Pend Orielle (sp?) trail system that is at the upper end of the Batey Bould trails outside of Newport.

Which corner of Spocompton are you in?

I'm north on Hwy 2 past Mead and almost into Colbert, thankfully!  I couldn't see myself living down in Felony Flats!   :thumbsup:

I've "heard" there are some good trail systems, and checked out the W2R forum here on TT.  I just don't know where I'm going or if I'm going to get busted riding the wrong way, or on someone's personal property, etc.  Down in NV, you have to ride without your number plates and outrun the BLM (which is easy) because there are so many restrictions!  

There is some good riding north of you. I'm sure someone will chime in. All the riding I do is at least an hour east of me, which is almost an hour southeast of you. I'll let you know next time I'm headed out, see if you're up for the drive.

Yes lpo is little pend orrelle, good riding up there, if you license your bike in Washington you are legal in Idaho, cheaper to buy an Idaho sticker though. Canfield trail system is awesome single track that leads in to the panhandle national forest. I may be going tomorrow

Canfield trail system is awesome single track....

You only say that because you haven't seen the good stuff Idaho has to offer.... :D I think Wonderspoon is a recent convert.

You only say that because you haven't seen the good stuff Idaho has to offer.... :D I think Wonderspoon is a recent convert.

Aww, canfield ain't bad. We put in 25 miles of erzberg esque riding before 10:30 this AM. Home with a happy wife at 11:30. Coming from Spokane its just so close and pretty good IMO. If you were healed I had my buddy Sam ready to head your preferred way. Hard to beat the trails you showed us; so flowy and fun. I think you're biased against canfield by comparison to the awesome trails you ride. If you lived in Western WA it would be the best area that side of the cascades.

In regards to licensing the bike, are you looking to put a street plate (dual sport conversion) on it or just on ORV tag?

Colbert Powersports could probably assist with the conversion necessary to get it street legal.  http://colbertpowersports.com/

operating on logging roads/forest service land requires a license plate if you want to remain "legal" for riding.

I've been in Spokane for a year now but haven't found the time to get out riding yet.

I'm between Mead and Colbert as well.

Generally, If you are legal in WA, you are legal in ID. If I understand correctly, your off road tags are good here for up to x amount of days of constant riding, but I've never crossed paths with another rider, let alone an LEO. But feel free to donate $12 to the cause if you want for your very own ID sticker!

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but LPO is the Little Pend Orielle (sp?) trail system that is at the upper end of the Batey Bould trails outside of Newport.

Which corner of Spocompton are you in?

Yup, batey and LPO are part of the same system. A good big boy ride is to ride from batey, stop for gas at beaver lodge, then come back. 70ish miles total.

operating on logging roads/forest service land requires a license plate if you want to remain "legal" for riding.

Within the USFS region, it varies from Forest to Forest.

The Colville NF, north of Spokane, where the LPO is located has opened most of their roads to ORV use.

Thanks for all the help!  It looks like I will go grab my bike from the cabin at Loon and bring it home, do some maintenance, get an ORV sticker, and try to head out with you!  I'm running (more like strollng) a 5k this Saturday for charity, but after this weekend, I am down for just about any evening or Saturday ride!

First of all were you a MRAN clubie. I moved here(Spokane)from LV as well 6 years ago and love the riding here by and large. PM me and lets ride.

I've ridden all over Idaho, but am a little biased to Canfield because its so close to my house.[/quote

How do you get to Canfield from cda. I've never ridden there I'm looking for new area to ride I live 50 miles south of cda.