Sign in to follow this  

Mud handle for my XR80R

Here in the Northeast lots of water running off the hills brings lots of mud patches to our trails. Some my little XR80R can deal with and sometimes not so much. Needed something to grab on to to get the rear setion unstuck and came up with this approach.

chain.jpg

Found an old bycycle chain lock and borrowed some of the links and the plastic cover to make a secure yet safe handle for the back of my bike.

Simply bolted each end to the rear frame tabs. They're already tapped (metric) so easy to do.

Chain lies flush with the fender but is now there when I need it. Made sure to leave enough room to grab on when I'm wearing gloves.

Edited by hondaspree

Nice job!  And cheaper than the aftermarket "TUG" handles.

MSR use to make small grab handles for Huskys that bolted onto each side just under the seat, they were small versions of trunk lift handles, worked really nice.

You can also add a tug handle to the front using a handle bar soft tie, put one fork leg into each loop just below the lower triple with the body laying over the top of the fender, easy to grab. Or use a piece of tie down strap and melt eyes in it, add  grommets or washers, than loop each end around a fork leg and bolt.