Sign in to follow this  

crank and rod replacement

looking at a used 250x, had a used 250f Yamaha and seized the crank rod bearing.  don't want that to happen again so I want to replace those parts if I decide to buy this used bike.  is replacing it as simple as buying the assembly and putting it in?  my local dealership made it sound a lot worse when I blew the yzf.  I'm more familiar with 2 stroke sleds and really have no experience with bottom ends on any power sport. thanks 

yeah just buy the crank/rod assembly and install it, not to bad to do but probably doesnt fall into the "simple" category either.

The 250X in general isnt too hard on crankshafts so its not something that needs to be done often.

okay that's what I thought and I didn't mean for it to sound "simple" but my dealership made it sound like I was replacing a jet engine.

okay that's what I thought and I didn't mean for it to sound "simple" but my dealership made it sound like I was replacing a jet engine.

Of course, that's how they justify that $90/hr shop rate when the tech doing the work makes less than $20/hr.

there are some good how to videos on youtube check them out its a job i would try wether or not it would go afterwards is another thing but i think if yo take your time and lay things out properly it can be done by the hobbyist good luck

How many hours are on this used bike you are looking at?  I took the stock crank out of my 250X at 400 hours and it still had not failed.  I replaced it for peace of mind not because I was having issues.