Sign in to follow this  

99 cr125 crank drive gear

So I have a 99 cr125 and it started smoking and having a lot of spooge. So I was gong to replace the crank seal. When I got my cover off I found out that my crank drive gear bearing was out and that it was moving around and ate all the teeth of of my water pump gear. So all I was wondering is where can I find the crank drive bearing because I can't seem to able to find one and will I she to split my cases to replace the crank seal and the drive gear bearing?

rocky mountain has crank bearings that you need.  Comes with bearings and seals!  http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/1804/Crankshaft-Bearings 

You will have to spilt the cases to replace the bearing.  But you DO NOT have to split the cases to replace a seal,  Since you will be splitting the cases anyway to replace the bearings, It will be easy to replace the seals.  I like to put the seals in after I get the cases together to lessen the chance of wrecking a seal while putting the cases back together.  Thats they way I like to do it, But that part is up to you..

rocky mountain has crank bearings that you need. Comes with bearings and seals! http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/1804/Crankshaft-Bearings

You will have to spilt the cases to replace the bearing. But you DO NOT have to split the cases to replace a seal, Since you will be splitting the cases anyway to replace the bearings, It will be easy to replace the seals. I like to put the seals in after I get the cases together to lessen the chance of wrecking a seal while putting the cases back together. Thats they way I like to do it, But that part is up to you..

So there's no way I can replace the bearing without splitting my cases? Because I can see it and its pretty loose!?

And will that kit of crankshaft bearing work? I mean does it have the crank site gear bearing?

yes you have to split the cases to replace the crank bearings. The bearings have to installed from the inside of the crank cases!   And yes the those are the bearings you need. The primary drive gear bolts directly into the crankshaft. and those bearings that I sent the link to are crankshaft bearings. 

No splitting the cases is pretty easy, I have lost count of how many I have spilt, I have never used a case splitter, But if this is your first time I recommend buying a case splitter as it will make your job a lot easier,  http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/731/17167/Tusk-Crankcase-Splitter-Separator  Tho it is not a have to have tool.  

also this will make it easier to put the cases back together http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/17166/Tusk-Crank-Puller-Installer-Tool   But again its not a have to have tool, But it will make it much easier and safer for a first timer.

First thing you need to to if you don't already have one is get yourself a service manual, they will make the job a lot easier.

Second, just take your time, take pictures of it as you go, So if you don't know where/how something goes then you can look back at the pictures. 

just take your time and be organized with all your parts and pieces when you are tearing it apart. try not to mix all the parts up. 

Is there a way of splitting the cases without spending 60$ on a case spliter?

Yes, but you need to be alot more careful. There is tabs on the cases that you can use a rubber mallet on to help separate the cases. DO NOT EVER use a screw driver in betweent the cases, you will wreck them.

Just take your time and tap on those tabs. Sometimes it's hard to split them if the dowels are all corroded.

Separate the left side from the right side, because the transmission will stay in the right case. After you get the left case off there will be washers stuck to the bearings that the transmission shafts go threw.

Be very careful with the tranny, bc if you miss that up its a whole new project.