Sign in to follow this  

Looking for some guidance with setting up a CVK40

Hello,

I've been through every CVK40 thread in existence 10 times over on all the popular sites.

I have a couple questions before I take the plunge this weekend.

Here's my mods:

3x3 mod

MRD z-pro (SSW) pipe

Regular style Twin Air filter

DRZ400E Airbox parts (both sides, rear rubber from carb to box and carb to head)

Clarke 3.9 Tank

Manual Yamaha Petcock

Carb: CVK40 from KLR in awesome shape. DJ Needle already installed along with brass fuel adjustment screw.

Currently has 136 and 40 jets installed. I purchased the plunger choke that everyone has recommended.

Everything looks good and is ready go to, just want to make sure all my numbers are right.

1. Anyone have any fitment issues with the Clarke tank and the carb? I expect to have to dig under there to learn the new choke location.

2. There is a black port and a white port on the side of the carb. Is one fuel and one vacuum? If so, which?

3. I'm assuming you set the bowl float height with the tab on the float bowl? What should the height be set to. The stock KLR float needle is installed.

I'm going to start things off by installing 150 and 42 jets, 3rd clip on needle and see how it goes from there. I've never tinkered with a carb before, but have done a ton of research. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but looking for some advice from those who have already taken the plunge. Thanks!

Edited by teejmiller

Black port is for the vent tube same as mikuni and white is fuel inlet. We'll need your elevation to advise on jetting but it sounds like your in the ballpark. Most are on the fourth clip with dj needle so not sure about that? Plenty of YouTube vids for the float bowl height set up. Mine was good and I left it alone. Good luck and take your time. You won't be disappointed with your efforts

Hello,

I've been through every CVK40 thread in existence 10 times over on all the popular sites.

I have a couple questions before I take the plunge this weekend.

Here's my mods:

3x3 mod

MRD z-pro (SSW) pipe

Regular style Twin Air filter

DRZ400E Airbox parts (both sides, rear rubber from carb to box and carb to head)

Clarke 3.9 Tank

Manual Yamaha Petcock

Carb: CVK40 from KLR in awesome shape. DJ Needle already installed along with brass fuel adjustment screw.

Currently has 136 and 40 jets installed. I purchased the plunger choke that everyone has recommended.

Everything looks good and is ready go to, just want to make sure all my numbers are right.

1. Anyone have any fitment issues with the Clarke tank and the carb? I expect to have to dig under there to learn the new choke location.

2. There is a black port and a white port on the side of the carb. Is one fuel and one vacuum? If so, which?

3. I'm assuming you set the bowl float height with the tab on the float bowl? What should the height be set to. The stock KLR float needle is installed.

I'm going to start things off by installing 150 and 42 jets, 3rd clip on needle and see how it goes from there. I've never tinkered with a carb before, but have done a ton of research. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but looking for some advice from those who have already taken the plunge. Thanks!

If you are at sea level, you are probably right on the mark with jetting.

Yep, sorry guys. I am at Sea Level in flat old NJ.

I'm still on the hunt for stainless M4 bolts for the CVK

Here is the specific thread and size for stainless steel bowl and top CVK40 screws if anyone ever needs them:

Float bowl - M4 x 14 (x4)

Accelerator pump - M4 x 10 (x3)

Top cover - M4 x 16 (x3), M4 x 18 (x1)

My local Ace has a good stainless metric selection, I'll try there tomorrow. Itching to get this thing on the bike!

Has anyone ever been successful using both stock S cables on a DRZ with the return? I'm not against removing the return cable, but it would make life easier to be able to leave it. I have a FCR39 from a DRZ400E I plan on getting into and swapping on the bike this winter.

• Like 1

Yep, sorry guys. I am at Sea Level in flat old NJ.

I'm still on the hunt for stainless M4 bolts for the CVK

Here is the specific thread and size for stainless steel bowl and top CVK40 screws if anyone ever needs them:

Float bowl - M4 x 14 (x4)

Accelerator pump - M4 x 10 (x3)

Top cover - M4 x 16 (x3), M4 x 18 (x1)

My local Ace has a good stainless metric selection, I'll try there tomorrow. Itching to get this thing on the bike!

Has anyone ever been successful using both stock S cables on a DRZ with the return? I'm not against removing the return cable, but it would make life easier to be able to leave it. I have a FCR39 from a DRZ400E I plan on getting into and swapping on the bike this winter.

Yes, I used both the stock S cables. No problem at all.

• Like 1

I have a 4 gal IMS tank, similar to Clarke.  Petcock location may need creative routing, some have wrapped the fuel line around the carb to prevent line kinks.  Kewl idea.