Sign in to follow this  

New to DR-Z 400 SMs- how does this deal look?

Hey guys,

I am looking for a SM to rip around the city in. My panigale is too hot and impractical for such. I was looking at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4491197374.html and became very intrigued. 

What is your take on it? Anything I should be on the lookout for in particular? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

Doesn't say what year, but it seems a bit overpriced.. Someone should slap the shit out of him for the description though. 

It is a bit brutal haha.

The bike is an 06 and also has a new renthal chain.

I was thinking of offering 5k cash. 

Thanks

Edited by dynastyss

If you like the mods he's done I guess. It all depends on what you like and your area. $5000 for this in my area would be a little high, and I don't like any of the mods this guy has done. I didn't know yoshimura made a dual exhaust for the DRZ.

Edited by LG416
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

I am looking for a SM to rip around the city in. My panigale is too hot and impractical for such. I was looking at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4491197374.html and became very intrigued. 

What is your take on it? Anything I should be on the lookout for in particular? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

ok, it has a new rear tire. does that make a 5 year old drz with 9000 miles almost worth the new price ? 

yes, i skipped the clark tank. its a yawner. 

i figure he's just trying to get into 'best of craigslist'

• Like 1

I don't like to judge other peoples stuff negitively but, too much bling.  The only 2 things he mentioned of value to me is the 3.9 tank & braided lines.  Plus he sounds like a bullshiter, so I think seller is asking too much.  :lame:

• Like 3

5000 still too much.....for that price I would just buy a new one.  :thinking:

Me too! Start from scratch and take care of it the way you want........

• Like 2

seems to molested to me. personally i dont like buying bikes that have so many mods maybe a couple. because i like to do everything myself so incase if its my mess up its my mess up not the previous owner that jimmy rigged something and you find out down the road 500 miles later this bike isn't what i thought it to be. what i do is take a look at all the things that can be fairly noticeable for instance: tire wear. missing or bent spokes. condition of frame and sub frame. look to see if any of the side cases have been repaired usually indicates  it got dropped and was repaired. coolant level, oil level any weird sounds coming from the engine .any for riding focus on the feel of the engine. does it feel weird at all like it studders in low mid and full throttle. throttle move freely and clutch fell good no to stiff. thats what i like to look for. and for god sake do ride it i come across so much guys that buy a bike and never start it and bring it back to their garage to find out they have a POS! good luck

what is wrong with the panigale is it to fast?  :p

• Like 1

I know you did not just post that you have a panigale and did not post a pic!! Come on.

Sick bike, I got to demo the panigale and new 899 on the track. Wicked fun bikes.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with a good used one - so long as it is a good used one - and you're getting value for money. Research and advice from here will provide answers to these questions.

• Like 2

This bike is meaner and leaner than any other DRZ on the road......Total rubbish.. :goofy: ... :lol: 

It has the Yoshimura RS4 carbon fiber dual exhaust, the premier racing exhaust for this bike....Once again ..Total Rubbish... :goofy: ... :lol: 

It has the 3x1 air box mod. ....The owner is confirming he is a tool..  :facepalm: 

Are you ready for a bike that will give you wet dreams? pff maybe.......It certainly wouldn't be this one.... :bonk: 

Me too! Start from scratch and take care of it the way you want........

5000 still too much.....for that price I would just buy a new one.  :thinking:

I don't like to judge other peoples stuff negitively but, too much bling.  The only 2 things he mentioned of value to me is the 3.9 tank & braided lines.  Plus he sounds like a bullshiter, so I think seller is asking too much:lame:

Nothing wrong with a good used one - so long as it is a good used one - and you're getting value for money. Research and advice from here will provide answers to these questions.

Yep...Follow the above advice...... :thumbsup:

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 5

Considering that the DRZ SM is basically the same bike from year to year, you could almost go by color instead of vintage (everything else being equal).

You should keep in mind that scientific testing has proven the Yellow/blue one to be the fastest, the Yellow/red to be the second fastest, and black and white/blue to be on a shared third place. 

• Like 2

Considering that the DRZ SM is basically the same bike from year to year, you could almost go by color instead of vintage (everything else being equal).

You should keep in mind that scientific testing has proven the Yellow/blue one to be the fastest, the Yellow/red to be the second fastest, and black and white/blue to be on a shared third place. 

This is war.....J/K,  funny shit though.  :thumbsup: