Sign in to follow this  

Does weight make a difference on new bike?

So I'm 125ish... 5'9 so pretty thin. I'm not really lookin for a new bike just yet, I have two already... a DRZ 400 and YZ250f anniversary.... The DRZ is getting beat to hell from me bangin it up and that's ok... I wanna look a head when I decide to get rid of the 400 and get something similar (i.e. one for on the streets as well as some dirt riding).

Now I got the 400 first but getting on the 250 after, it's like night and day. I feel like I have so much more control over the bike and it's much easier for me to pick up if I lay it over (think there's a 100lb difference between the two). Also the DRZ just feels heavy going round corners and stuff. Great control don't get me wrong I just feel like I'm gonna lose the bike if I lean to far but that may be a mental thing. The 250 just glides. 

Should I stick with the 250 range of bikes because I'm a lighter guy or is it just a matter of experience and even being quite light, could master a 450 pretty well eventually? 

Right now I like using the DRZ and banging it up because after using that for a while I get back on the 250 which just feels so much easier. In the desert I notice most are on 450s... and they climb some pretty good hills. I'd like to be able to climb some of those crazy hills someday.

Or maybe just use the 250 for the tracks and if I get a 450 later, use that in the mountains and desert? Maybe settle with three bikes? Track bike, desert/mountain bike, save enduro bike for street and light trails?

You should exercise and bulk up a bit. I know pro circuit said to AC92 that he had to be a certain weight to ride a 250f. He's a pro and they still believed he wasn't bulky enough. Also it makes it fun commanding a bike where you want it to go.

So I'm 125ish... 5'9 so pretty thin. I'm not really lookin for a new bike just yet, I have two already... a DRZ 400 and YZ250f anniversary.... The DRZ is getting beat to hell from me bangin it up and that's ok... I wanna look a head when I decide to get rid of the 400 and get something similar (i.e. one for on the streets as well as some dirt riding).

Now I got the 400 first but getting on the 250 after, it's like night and day. I feel like I have so much more control over the bike and it's much easier for me to pick up if I lay it over (think there's a 100lb difference between the two). Also the DRZ just feels heavy going round corners and stuff. Great control don't get me wrong I just feel like I'm gonna lose the bike if I lean to far but that may be a mental thing. The 250 just glides. 

Should I stick with the 250 range of bikes because I'm a lighter guy or is it just a matter of experience and even being quite light, could master a 450 pretty well eventually? 

Right now I like using the DRZ and banging it up because after using that for a while I get back on the 250 which just feels so much easier. In the desert I notice most are on 450s... and they climb some pretty good hills. I'd like to be able to climb some of those crazy hills someday.

Or maybe just use the 250 for the tracks and if I get a 450 later, use that in the mountains and desert? Maybe settle with three bikes? Track bike, desert/mountain bike, save enduro bike for street and light trails?

Honestly you are in small bore territory with your size and weight.

I am shorter but heavier by about 5 pounds. A 144 would be kick ass on tracks for you, for open trails you'd be ok with a 450, providing you respect it, but I think it would beat you up.

What about a 300 2T ?

Light and great Power

I reckon perhaps too much, as a light rider, I can say we don't really put power to the ground so well.

Thanks for the suggestions... I prefer the desert to the tracks... will I be able to go up everything on a 250f that most are going up with their 450's? Obviously the 450 has more power but, if I'm so light, will I need all that power to get up good size hill? Basically in the long run, I wanna know I won't be hindered by my weight or bike size. If I will, I drop the 250 and just stick with the 400 and 450. If I need to get bigger/stronger to actually ride them, well then that's a goal to work out and gain weight that I didn't have before...

But if I'll pretty much be able to do what people with 450's are doing on my little 250, I'll be happy with that. I mean I'm still a beginner so getting any new bike is a long way off... I just wanna make sure I can keep up with my buds when I get pretty decent and climb the hills they're climbing and not be hindered by my bike and weight size.