Sign in to follow this  

XR250 L Cut out won't re-start

Hello all, 

First post for me, being a new XR owner.  I've got an XR250 L I think!??!  1997 e-start only.

$_57.JPG

I had a couple of little rides near to my house, no problems, just up and down the street really.  I went to go for a proper ride today and it cut out a mile from my house!!!  Managed to bump start it but it wouldn't keep running.

I'm really new to all this and I'm sure I'm asking stupid questions, but it's the only way I'll learn I guess!!

I got a tow home eventually, took the battery out, put it on charge for 3 hours, put it back in and it fired straight away.

So que the stupid questions:

Is this just a battery problem?

Is it true that the battery needs to have a certain charge in it for the bike to actually run??

Is there a deeper fault with the alternator / electrical system?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm nervous to go out too far off the beaten track now in case it happens again!! This is what I bought this bike for!  Would there be any contingency for this happening again other than carrying a spare battery?!?!

Thanks!!!

Volt meter.  You need to solve this problem before you damage some very expensive components.

Volt meter.  You need to solve this problem before you damage some very expensive components.

What do you mean exactly??  

You need to check your battery and charging voltage to see what is going on.

yeah that's what I thought you meant.  My multimeter is knackered, I have ordered a new one to check it.  What expensive parts would I be damaging though??

Am I right in saying that there should be obviously around 12v coming from the battery and that it shouldn't drop below 9v on starting??? Then with a bit of rev's it should rise to 13 or so if everything is working properly???

I think I'm going to order a MotoBatt QuadFlex MBT4XU to replace a very old looking Yuasa YTX5L-BS

Anybody have any advice on which battery is best??

How many Guinness is a CDI unit and Regulator/Rectifier worth in the British Isles?

The battery should be near 13v after sitting overnight.  Hopefully, that is the only problem.  

Also, don't use a heavy-duty charger.  You could fry components.

How many Guinness is a CDI unit and Regulator/Rectifier worth in the British Isles?

The battery should be near 13v after sitting overnight.  Hopefully, that is the only problem.  

Also, don't use a heavy-duty charger.  You could fry components.

£30 for a CDI unit and about £65 for Regulator / Rectifier...... I'll test the battery as soon as I get my new multimeter.

Thanks for your help!!!  Hope its just the battery!!!!

So put the battery back in this morning and she fired up no worries.  I took her for a spin and forgot to cancel my indicator (turn signal) and then she started to splutter again!!!

Cancelled the indicator and limped home in 1st gear.  Let her idle for a bit then went back out to try again.  Was ok again until i opened up the speed a bit on a longer bit of road, started to splutter again, she coughed and spluttered the short distance home.

I took the battery out again and it had half the charge it went in with this morning.

Is this ALL battery related or are there other problems???

Check to be sure fuel cap is venting properly.

You never got an answer to your question of if the ignition system runs off battery alone. I'd need to see a wiring schematic to say. But it definitely sounds like the some part of the charging system isn't keeping up.

Edited by MacT

Check to be sure fuel cap is venting properly.

You never got an answer to your question of if the ignition system runs off battery alone. I'd need to see a wiring schematic to say. But it definitely sounds like the some part of the charging system isn't keeping up.

How would I check if the fuel tank is venting properly?? Metal tank, with lock and key.... 

When it starts to sputter and die, stop. Open the fuel tank cap. It you get a rush of air in or out, its not venting.

And if the air does rush in or out how would I stop this happening? Is there a breather pipe in the metal tanks?

Some metal tanks have a metal breather nipple that a hose attaches to. I don't know if yours does.

Most often, the fuel tank cap itself is designed to vent. They have small rubber disc type valves in them that can get sticky. You have to take the cap apart and clean things.

Some metal tanks have a metal breather nipple that a hose attaches to. I don't know if yours does.

Most often, the fuel tank cap itself is designed to vent. They have small rubber disc type valves in them that can get sticky. You have to take the cap apart and clean things.

Good advice thanks.  I'm pretty sure my metal tank doesn't have a breather as it has a lock in the place where the breather would be.  I'll look into it further and clean everything thoroughly and see if this makes a difference!  

Could also be the main jet I guess as it seems to be ok at lower speeds and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle?????  Only when it's opened right up does it start to splutter..... 

Yes, spluttering over half throttle could be a dirty / blocked main jet. The bike being new to you, it would be a good idea to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, pull the jets and clean them, blow them out, be sure you can see thru them. Record their sizes and let us know. Check / set the float level. I don't know specific what the L model float level is, but I'm guessing its the same as the R, 12.5mm.

Yes, spluttering over half throttle could be a dirty / blocked main jet. The bike being new to you, it would be a good idea to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, pull the jets and clean them, blow them out, be sure you can see thru them. Record their sizes and let us know. Check / set the float level. I don't know specific what the L model float level is, but I'm guessing its the same as the R, 12.5mm.

Time to get me hands dirty!!! Whoop whoop!  Shame I'm away for a week with work?!?!?! I'll have a look after I rule out tank venting, change the battery and check the charging system.  So much for getting a bike and going!  All part of the ownership experience I guess!