Sign in to follow this  

Bike for new woman rider?

Hello all! I'm a beginer rider and looking to find the perfect bike to learn on,as well as to grow into. I've been riding quads for a couple of years and am ready for the next step. I was looking at the honda crf230, I really appreciate the electric start! Any one have any feed back on this? I'm 5'7" at 135lbs.

Thanks in advance :-)

Are you looking for a trail bike ? street-oriented? Dual-purpose?

Dirt, Sport, Enduro, Standard, Cruiser?

If you want a legal bike- Personally, a good dual-sport i like is the Kawasaki Super Sherpa- though they can be hard to find parts for, but scrappy little bike that's beginner friendly but capable. There's a few around, but as stated, can be kinda hard to find things for considering the rarity. Have one myself, and i use it as an "around town" / trainer bike for people who want to learn how to ride. People report it feels a little tall, but meh.

I'm also a fan of the Honda CRF230F / 250Ls- good power, plenty of fun, "modern" design, lots of aftermarket support- so you're definitely barking up the right tree.

There's the Yamaha TW200, but eh- they're a little wonky from what I hear. Definitely a "work-horse / pig" trail crawler, so if you want to have a little fu, you may find their power lacking- They also make the XT225 / 250, which is the better choice for true dual purpose.

I'd also keep away from things like a KLR250- kinda tall for your size and lacking in the power department as well. 

Best of luck!

I sincerely believe there is not a one-bike-fits-all solution. (Hence the crowded situation of my garage. lol)  

It really depends on what kind of riding you want to do and what terrain you're on. You may not find that your learning-on bike will be your growing-into bike.

Let us know a little more and it'll help steer our answers to the right direction. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the great feedback! I'm looking for a trail bike, as I will be mostly riding around in the dirt motocross style :-). I've tried a yz125 and found it to be a bit too "touchy" for my liking, and I simply wasn't tall enough to ride it comfortably!

Have any you have had any experience with the Yamaha ttr125le? It seems to have everything I'm looking for, my major concern being I'll grow out of it too quickly.

• Like 1

Hello all! I'm a beginer rider and looking to find the perfect bike to learn on,as well as to grow into. I've been riding quads for a couple of years and am ready for the next step. I was looking at the honda crf230, I really appreciate the electric start! Any one have any feed back on this? I'm 5'7" at 135lbs.

Thanks in advance :-)

There's a girl in the forum that rides a Honda crf230 and it's her first bike.  Her name is "mL26"....... maybe she can help you out.  She's a 'shortie' too but the bike seems to fit her, so at your height you should be fine.  :p

I started with a TTR-125LE. It's actually a good bike to start on. Easy power, but will still tractor up hills too. Believe me, I took my TTR to places you wouldn't think a TTR would go!! My friend had one too, only hers wasn't the electric start one. We both rode the wheels off those bikes! Took them into really technical trails and all over the place.

I'm now on a CRF 150RB, which, in my opinion, is the best-built out of all the smaller bikes. However, in between, I've also owned a KLX140L and a KX100 too. They all have their good points and bad points.

I think the TTR-125LE is a decent choice and will probably do you for a couple years maybe, and it seems like there's always demand for them, so it should be easy to resell when that time comes. In order to make it more 'adult-rider' friendly though, it really does need taller bars, or at the very least, bar risers. Without that, it's nearly impossible to ride standing up (comfortably) which can result in developing some bad riding habits.  ;)

• Like 2

I would not put my worst enemy on a CRF230. Giant turd weighs more than a 450 xc bike. Suspension is so nasty combined with it's pig like weight it is barely suitable to use to ride to the porta potty

• Like 1

I agree with gruberyz; if you are looking at that bike, I would suggest something different maybe a kdx200 instead.  Same weight (with full tank of gas) as the crf230 but more overall power for trail riding.  I ride a kdx220, have a kouba link installed to lower it, since I'm only 5'4".  I ride only trails and handle the bike fine and like the full-size vs. the smaller bikes.  I tried to start out on an xr100, because we owned one, and it was simply too small to learn on.  

If you can, sit on different bikes, as this helped me immensely.  I was initially leaning toward a kx100 with taller bars and drop pegs because of all the suggestions here on TT, but once I sat on one, again it just felt too small (frame-wise) to be comfortable and manageable long-term on trails. Being cramped on a small bike hurt my shoulders quickly and didn't encourage me to stand when needed on trails. I borrowed a friends older ktm300 and realized the advantage of a full-size bike and ended up buying a kdx200 and learned clutch and throttle control and balance.

There are plenty of other bikes out there for a beginner that are better than the crf230 in my opinion.  Best wishes on finding the perfect bike.

Edited by leadfoot70ss

CRF 150R would do you good...small enough to toss around and good power...learning how to kick and bump start a bike is much more valuable in the long run than hitting an e-start button,

Edited by Arctic Pride
  • Like 1

Here is my wife on her bike celebrating our 33 wedding anniversary by getting second place at the little lighthouse charity race. She loves her CRF150R big wheel with flywheel weight. and jetted for crawling to topped out riding. This bike has been just an excellent performer in all kinds of terrain

251pw0091-ZF-0872-72773-1-001_zpsaa1d473

• Like 1

Nice! The 150RB with flywheel weight works well for me as a woods and hare scramble bike too. The other mod to mine is lowered footpegs that make it a little more comfortable, especially for standing up. That was done before I got the bike though so took me a little while to even realize that had been done.

My ttr125l lasted me a few months before I wanted to move up. Then I got a rm100 and quickly grew bored of that and found myself riding my bf's cr250r. I sold that & got my 02 cr125. & if you're worried about it being touchy, the 4 stroke power of the ttr on take off was way more touchy than my two stroke is. But it all depends what you like better, the low end torque of a 4 stroke or the snappy 2 stroke when it hits power band.

If I were you I'd skip the ttr125 and jump to a bigger bike. Being 5'7 as well, it was way too short for me

at 5'7" a TTR125 is way too small for you. I think a CRF150RB would be as well. I'd go with the CRF230 suggestion unless you're not very strong (and then the TTR would be fine, just not appropriately sized). The CRF230 is heavy but the weight is low and it's a tractor so just squeeze that tank and stay on it :) I'd see if you can find a good used one as you can then decide if you'll move up to a non-play 4 stroke or if you need to go lighter and trail out a 2 stroke.

• Like 1

Call Durhamtown and see what bikes they have available for renting. Durhamtown is a great place to ride for beginers, wide trails.

I'd recommend getting a bike that fits you first and formost. If you are a beginner you will find a lot of comfort in being able to flat foot stop when you need to without having to lean the bike to one side with only one foot down on the ground. I would also recommend going for a 125-150cc bike that isn't too heavy for you to have to push around. You really appreciate a lighter bike the first time you get mired down in mud, fall over and have to wrestle the beast out of the quagmire. Also go for an electric start. You always have the option of kick starting it if you need, but that push of a button start up is sweeeeet.

Try hitting as many dealers as you can and sitting on as many bikes as you can find. If there is a meet going on near you go to it and look the bikes over. I was very lucky in that my husband knew what kind of bike I needed and advised me along the way. I ride a TTR-125L and as I am a small woman and a little shall we say long in the tooth, it's the perfect bike for me.

With experience you can step up but IMHO do not let a dealer or seller talk you into a bike you are not ready for as a beginner. It's like giving a new lady target shooter a Desert Eagle to learn to shoot with. One crack in the head with the barrel recoiling and they never want to shoot a weapon again. Same with a motorcycle. Too big of a bike, crash, we loose a new member for the club.

Good luck and have fun learning.

Edited by redhed

Thanks for the great feedback! I'm looking for a trail bike, as I will be mostly riding around in the dirt motocross style :-). I've tried a yz125 and found it to be a bit too "touchy" for my liking, and I simply wasn't tall enough to ride it comfortably!

Have any you have had any experience with the Yamaha ttr125le? It seems to have everything I'm looking for, my major concern being I'll grow out of it too quickly.

One suggestion is to get a used bike in good shape rather than a new one. That way if you grow out of it quickly you won't burn a bunch of money when you sell it.

It's better to get a bike that makes you feel comfortable during the steep learning curve than worrying about how you will feel about it in the future. Your enjoyment during the learning phase is much more important than anything else. If you get the right bike you will feel like riding the wheels off it, which will make you learn quickly. On the other hand if you get something where you can't touch the ground properly or you feel nervous about the power delivery then it is more likely to stay in the garage. 

I bought a used bike, kickstart only, and didn't regret it. The kickstart was hard to get the hang of at first and made me a little anxious about stalling, but in the end it was a breeze. I'm glad I did it because if I had a button I would've been lazy about it and never learned  ;) Since it has a kickstand and a small engine it was actually really easy to start compared to many other bikes. 

Edit: I also meant to ask, have you decided on one yet?

Edited by stinkwheels

I think it depends upon the rider to some degree, on their confidence level in their abilities and learning new skills.  But here is me on our xr100 and you can see how hunched I was on the bike.  The 150 big wheel and the kx100 were just about the same, just the bikes had more power.  But this riding position is not conducive to growing my skills on the trails and becoming a competent and confident rider.  I am 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam and these bikes are simply too small framed for my size.

10526005_10203421275345187_3535615712187

As you can see here, the full-size bike fits me better and allowed me to build my skills needed to be able to ride on trails and overcome obstacles I may encounter.  Having a bike that fits you will allow you to develop your skills in riding.  Sitting on different bikes and getting a feel for how they feel, will be your best bet in finding a bike as a beginner to learn on.  But for someone who lacks any confidence on a bike, then small bikes may help grow confidence needed before skill can be developed anyways.  But that is a personal issue each rider needs to determine for themselves.  Not all beginner riders lack confidence on a bike, so proper fit on a bike is key in my opinion to avoid frustrations in dealing with a bike that is too small or too big for the rider's size.

15116_10203421203983403_7416162704684711

• Like 1

Wow, I'm so grateful for all the feedback! Thanks all, you have been so helpful and I really do appreciate it. We had to take a breather on the bike searching for a little while, but I'm going tomorrow to see a TTR. I'll be sure to ask about bar raisers as I don't want to develop poor posture while riding. I do think the TTR will be perfect for developing my skills, as well as an easy sell when I'm ready for something bigger. So thanks again fellow Thumpertalkers, I'll be sure to update you all on my final decision!

• Like 1