Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust orings, non oem?

Went into town to find some new exhaust orings because the ones that came on the bike I am pretty sure are still the origional ones that came on the bike haha

Neither of my local shops had really any ktm parts so I went to the auto parts store and found 2 that appear close enough to work. The guy at the parts store brought up a good point though I didn't consider. He mentioned the heat from the exhaust, and said he didn't think the orings they stocked were meant for that much heat.

Would these standard rubber orings work for a couple rides? I looked up the oem oring and it noted it was a viton seal, not sure if that, means it has to be that type, im not really sure what viton seals do differently besides last longer and hold up better against chemicals.

I should also note I did order oem ones to replace the standard rubber ones too. I live an hour from the nearest dealer so I gotta wait to get them and really wanted to do some riding this weekend.

I have used both Viton and silicone o-rings, they both last about the same time:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Below is my last order with them. which was about 4 yrs ago, still have enough left for another year.

1     1 Pack     9263K739 Metric Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring 3 mm Width, 44 mm ID, Packs of 10 (Same as 9263K11)    $14.82     $14.82
2     2 Packs     9396K438 Silicone O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 924, Packs of 10 (Same as 9396K6)     $3.86     $7.72

I have no idea what type I got from the auto parts are, but they fit and the echaust doesn't leak. Ill probably run em for a bit and swap out when they stop working