Sign in to follow this  

Steering Head Bearing Tool Necessities?

I took my steering stem apart on my 08 YZ250F, and my lower bearing got very rusty and corroded.  I got it fairly clean, but I am considering replacing them.  The cost of the bearings is cheap, but all the different tools they sell for removal and installation can add up quite a bit.  Honestly, it looks like the outer races that are pressed into the frame would be pretty easy to put a drift on, and tap out, but the lower bearing on the stem, I am not sure how much trouble that would give me. Is this a job that is a major pain without all the special tools, or are the special tools more of a convenience?

I've done em without any special tools.  I use a length of pipe to tap the old ones out, moving the pipe around and not getting the bearing too tilted.  I use the old race to hammer in the new race.  

Any suggestions on how to get the races out of the steering head?  There doesn't seem to be enough of the race exposed to get a good hit on it with a punch.

i have written on here many times how much a PITA those are.

takes a long punch with a very nice tip (like the long one in this kit - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc-punch-and-alignment-set/p-00904285000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4 )

use a deadblow hammer to make sure all the energy goes into the punch

once out grind a notch so that next time its easier

If you have a mig welder weld a small bead clear around the race and they will all but fall out. Now the hard part is the race on the stem, Ill usualy take a grinder with a cut off wheel and  cut it as deep as a can on about a 45 then take t chisel and try to crack the race.

i have written on here many times how much a PITA those are.

takes a long punch with a very nice tip (like the long one in this kit - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc-punch-and-alignment-set/p-00904285000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4 )

use a deadblow hammer to make sure all the energy goes into the punch

once out grind a notch so that next time its easier

I grinded my punch flat and it was enough to tap them out.  Thanks guys.

I got the All Balls kit today, and they have two different numbers on the bags.  They look pretty much identical, but have different numbers on the bags.  I would assume the numbers are there because the bearing and race are a matched set, but want to make sure that the top and bottom bearing arent slightly different before I go pressing the races into the frame.  Anyone else get the All Balls kit that can confirm either of the two bearings supplied can be installed up top or the bottom? 

no idea on that.

put the races in the freezer for 4+ hours.

take 1 out of freezer and with a block of wood hammer that one in as fast as you can before it heats back up.

then get the 2nd.

use a deadblow hammer.  2-3 whacks is all it should take.

FYI the top and bottom bearings are not identical on aluminum framed bikes. Make sure and measure. They are close but not the same

FYI the top and bottom bearings are not identical on aluminum framed bikes. Make sure and measure. They are close but not the same

Yep, I measured the inner bore diameter, and they are about 2-3mm different. 

I hate Yamaha right now.  I have everything but the top race completed.  I honestly don't recommend this job to anyone who doesn't have access to all the correct tools.  I bought a 20 ton press to get the steering stem bearing off.  Now I have the top race installed in the steering tube, but the top race apparently needs to be recessed past the machining of the frame by about 1/16 of an inch.  So now I cant get the race to drive down that last 1/16 of an inch because if my driver is off even just a little, its hitting the frame instead of the race.  I don't know why Yamaha machined the frame this way, if the race sat up a 1/16th, then you could easily drive it down until it seats.  :foul:  

Edited by mjbd

Can't you use the steering stem bolt to tighten it up ? Act as a press ?

Can't you use the steering stem bolt to tighten it up ? Act as a press ?

After a closer look, it looks like the race is fully seated, and it was the slight chamfer on the race that was giving the illusion of a gap in between the bottom of the race and the frame.  Should be back in business soon. 

Edited by mjbd

Buy a long claw screwdriver and you will have all the meat of the blade on the race, pops out easily. I know on the 450, the bottom and top races are a different size. 

Edited by restukey