Sign in to follow this  

What do I do about a new battery mount / side panel

I just got a 2000 DR-Z 400 and the last owner did something to get a bigger battery installed.

jydBtRg.jpg

This has created a two issues:

- The battery is held in by a zip-tie

- There seems to be a mount missing to screw in the side panel 

I'm still digging into everything DR-Z but I can't really come figure out what I need to do here.

What I have come up with so far is buying a new battery mount (something like the one that is sold at happy-trail.com) but I'm not sure if that would solve the side panel problem.

Any thoughts or advice?

I'd buy another battery box and air box, that isn't helping your performance and looks pretty micky mouse.

I'd buy another battery box and air box, that isn't helping your performance and looks pretty micky mouse.

Agh, I'm guessing the stock airbox has a place where the side panel attaches? 

I would tear that whole bike down & inspect - replace and repair - loctite & Bel-Ray grease everything.

Yeah that's the plan. I got a good deal on the bike so I just have to put some work into it now.

• Like 1

From the looks of it, you're going to need a new subframe too, that kink near the battery doesn't look real safe.

PO messed that thing up,  that chain looks rusty as hell too,  definately a bike that needs to be taken a part cleaned/greased/repaired and put back together. 

• Like 2

I would tear that whole bike down & inspect - replace and repair - loctite & Bel-Ray grease everything.

absolute must lol

• Like 2

Will an original battery box still fit since the PO put a pod filter on? 

I would also look for a stock air box and get rid of the pod filter, there is no performance advantage here with that filter..If fact it would be a disadvantage when it comes to jetting it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdrz400+airbox&_nkw=drz400+airbox&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The battery box is a separate entity ...

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1