2014 RMZ-450 starting trouble

So I just purchased a brand new 2014 from the Suzuki dealer. I bring it home and I get it started by pulling the starter knob. Let it warm up and it idles really high. I have tried turning the knob to slow the idle. But it has no effect. And when I push the knob in. The bike dies immediately. Has anyone had this issue or know how to remedy this. I turned the fuel screw to factory recommendations of 6 clicks counterclockwise from completely clockwise. First time with EFI so maybe I'm not doing something right. Need help. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone

2014 RMZ-450

I didn't ask in the other thread but exactly how fast is the idle? The RMZ's do like to idle fast and they (at least mine) doesn't like the choke knob pulled at all. I have my idle set at about 1800-2000 rpm's because it really helps with flame out. I have been able to back it down slightly with a remap.

It's probably around 3500 rpm with the start knob pulled. It won't even start with it not pulled. It acts like it's going to for half second and then nothing if the knob is in. It sounds like if you were to hold your throttle 1/8 of a turn as for the rpm range with the start knob out. Then if I slowly push knob in and just before I let go it has a good 1800-2000 idle speed but that last maybe 1/16 of an inch push, The bike dies. Could it be the TPS is off? Thoughts besides bringing back to dealer. Trying to avoid that. But will do if needed.

Sent from my iPhone

2014 RMZ-450

That is about the right idle speed with the knob pulled... Check your hot start to make sure it is not being held open. Could be your TPS but I doubt it. Turn the knob out about 2 or so more turns and see if it will keep the bike running. 

I will go check to see where mine is set. I know I turned mine out a few turns after break in because of the flame outs I mentioned earlier. I will also take a good look at my bike for things that maybe would help you. 

Are your sure your knob stops spinning? I can turn my knob 20 clicks each way and I could have went further but stopped. I would just keep opening it one click at a time until you get a smooth idle. Also note that you should not turn the idle adjustment knob while it is pulled out. My guess is that you have your knob turned in WAY too far.

Edited by BDubb106

Knob should definitely click and stop at full in and out. If you just bought the bike-take it back to the dealer. Aire leaks or a bad sensor can cause high idle but it sounds like an issue with the idle knob/enrichener circuit.

• Like 1

I wonder why mine doesn't stop? I turned it in 30 clicks and turned it out 30 clicks and it never stopped. It works just fine though. Should I be concerned by this?

It may just be the knob spinning on the post BDubb. Knob is attached to "bolt" (for lack of better words) That screws in and out. It opens and closes off a small orifice. But it should stop clicking in and full out like a compression clicker. Does it keep clicking as you spin it? If it just spins and doesn't click-knob is spinning. I wouldn't be concerned as long as it hold its setting.