Do I need cylinder re- plating

Need advice

I'm doing my first top and bottom end rebuild and wonder if i need to get the cylinder re-plated. If I don't need to, are there any ways to get the baked on dirt off it?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401499434.145781.jpgstill needs to get the gasket residue off

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401499511.295974.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401499565.511932.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401499581.311890.jpgdust and and the scratches look as if it was made that way and don't like scratches they are very smooth ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401499700.795030.jpg can take more and better pictures if needed or requested

Is it plated or a sleeve ? looks like a sleeve . KTM ? If it measures within' spec clean it good with brake/ contact cleaner then hot soapy water ( Dish soap ) Dry really good and coat with oil . Use a B piston if needed and available. Really need more info though .

It's not sleeved just plated, it off of a yz85 2004, stock bore size, what other info do you need so you can help/ provide more advice to me

It's not sleeved just plated, it off of a yz85 2004, stock bore size, what other info do you need so you can help/ provide more advice to me

Don't scratch the cylinder walls with anything abrasive just wash really good , if the cylinder is in good shape i would put a B piston in it, they are .01mm larger to accommodate for cylinder wear , http://www.ebay.com/itm/Namura-47-45mm-B-Piston-Top-End-Gasket-Kit-Yamaha-YZ-85-2002-12-NX-40085-BK-/351062481497?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3AYZ85&hash=item51bcf45a59&vxp=mtr    Such as this one. Make sure to check ring end gap and cylinder wall clearance while installing. 

Don't scratch the cylinder walls with anything abrasive just wash really good , if the cylinder is in good shape i would put a B piston in it, they are .01mm larger to accommodate for cylinder wear , http://www.ebay.com/itm/Namura-47-45mm-B-Piston-Top-End-Gasket-Kit-Yamaha-YZ-85-2002-12-NX-40085-BK-/351062481497?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3AYZ85&hash=item51bcf45a59&vxp=mtr Such as this one. Make sure to check ring end gap and cylinder wall clearance while installing.

i already have a brand new wiseco top end kit that I ordered a few months back though.& so I don't need replating, but just to clean it good and coat walls with oil ? Edited by DerrD25

i already have a brand new wiseco top end kit that I ordered a few months back though

It will likely work but may have too much cylinder wall clearance causing piston slap and eventually breaking a piston. Measure the cylinder size in several locations inside the cylinder , measure the piston and subtract from the cylinder size and it will give you cylinder wall clearance . Compare that to your service manual or piston instructions on what your clearance - / + should be. You can take it to just about any machine shop to have it checked cheap or free if you don't have the tools. Don't guess it's ok , have it checked. Could end up a 1,000 dollar mistake.  ?

• Like 1

It will likely work but may have too much cylinder wall clearance causing piston slap and eventually breaking a piston. Measure the cylinder size in several locations inside the cylinder , measure the piston and subtract from the cylinder size and it will give you cylinder wall clearance . Compare that to your service manual or piston instructions on what your clearance - / + should be. You can take it to just about any machine shop to have it checked cheap or free if you don't have the tools. Don't guess it's ok , have it checked. Could end up a 1,000 dollar mistake. ?

would mineral spirits be safe to use ? Or should I just go buy contact cleaner?
  • Like 1

would mineral spirits be safe to use ? Or should I just go buy contact cleaner?

No mineral spirits will work great , i even use stale gas sometimes if it's sat too long . Mineral spirits mixed with a degreaser like purple power or super clean will clean your parts like new. Don't use simple green degreaser on aluminum it will turn it a dark ugly brown/black . It will also etch anodizing on fork tubes  :naughty:

No mineral spirits will work great , i even use stale gas sometimes if it's sat too long . Mineral spirits mixed with a degreaser like purple power or super clean will clean your parts like new. Don't use simple green degreaser on aluminum it will turn it a dark ugly brown/black . It will also etch anodizing on fork tubes :naughty:

do I actually mix them together in one bottle ? If so, how much of each?

do I actually mix them together in one bottle ? If so, how much of each?

I put each in a separate bottle and soak with each let sit for a few minutes and pressure wash,  or brush with a good stiff nylon brush then rinse off with water. That will get the big grime off then into a bucket of hot soapy water brush again and rinse . Dry it good and coat with clean oil. That lint , fuzz, dirt , ect. that's in those pics can't be there you need spotless as possible and the degreasing dish soap will get it there. 

Make sure to coat the cylinder walls very good with the two stroke oil you will be using,,,makes for much easier assembly and is recommended. Good luck. Also, stay within torque specs.

Edited by Alan48
  • Like 1

Make sure to coat the cylinder walls very good with the two stroke oil you will be using,,,makes for much easier assembly and is recommended. Good luck. Also, stay within torque specs.

I use comp cams assembly lube on everything , i'd put it on my sandwiches if it taste better.  :ride:

• Like 1