Sign in to follow this  

Skid plate mounting woes

2008 yz250. It has a Hyde plastic skid plate that was on it when I bought it. I like it but it is just a mess, oil changes are pain and it collects more mud and crap than other plates. So I removed it to install the works connection plate that came in the spares box. I cant get the mounting clamps around the frame rails! Is there a trick? I am used to skid plates being a hassle but this is just lame.

Thanks!

The front clamps are different size from the back.....

I think I have the wrong clamps, or something. There is absolutely no way that any of them are getting between the right side frame tube and case. And the 2 thicker mounts dont fit the frame tubes at all. I think the PO didnt know what all he was giving me in the spares box. No biggie, I put the hyde racing plate back on.

You could always hog out some holes in the plastic plate for oil changes and problem areas and I've heard of guys using foam to keep the mud out. Just another idea.

Yeah I was thinking of hogging out the oil drain hole a bit more. I've never used the foam as I am scared it may not allow cooling air under the engine, though the effects of that is pure speculation.

Yeah I was thinking of hogging out the oil drain hole a bit more. I've never used the foam as I am scared it may not allow cooling air under the engine, though the effects of that is pure speculation.

Ha. That's a new one. I'd like to see their scientific studies on that!

Just tell those guys you run that special cooling foam, NASA had a sale and you got the last one!