Sign in to follow this  

crf 150R conversion to 250r?

hey guys i am buying à brand new crf150r. i am pretty short at 5'5"

and i like the height and the little engine even surprised me. ill ride it a while like this. What i want know is, is it possible to make a conversion to 250R like the junior service Honda makes? i want to make sure i start this long term project right

From what I've seen on my Service Honda Junior R, the changes they've done are fairly minor. Besides the motor mount welding, they've had to modify the rear engine mount spacers with the swingarm. The inlet water pipe on the left side needed to be angled differently so they made a little clamp to hold it in place. The airbox was modified too. The section of the airbox that connects to the carb was custom fabricated. I'm not sure why. Possible the bigger outlet size. This would be the most difficult conversion IMO. Of course the carb and mounting boots are different too. 

An interesting tidbit is that they used the shorter small wheel 150R swingarm.  I had an extra big wheel swingarm which I promptly replaced. 

thanks for the info i still hesitate they have a 2012 crf 250r in stock also. i think i wont be pleased with the mini size without major mods right off the start. Which makes it a bit useless to get it brand new. think id rather buy the 250 r and put the extra money to be able to ride it in the trails i plan on doing half trail half mx freeriding i have 3 years experience and i had a ttr125 whick sucked ass at 8 hp then à yz 125 which put à huge smile on my face but also bruises on the trails way too wild for me. and then i had à 2001 wr 250f i loved the power and torque it had but it was way too high and too hard for me to drive, my feet woulndt touch the ground at all. i want something light and with some punch i think the 250r would fit me better with a little work to lower it. Any advice ? Will lowering the bike decrease its handling performance?

Edited by Solidpitch

i really liked the power and height of the 150r but i fear ill hate the small wheels&wheel base on the trails while being too tall to enjoy it on the track

solidpitch

How about a KTM 150XC or 200XC-W? They lower pretty easily, and the older 200s (pre-electric start) are light with good powerband and excellent handling. With simple mods (FMF Gnarly pipe, power valve matching, PowerNow & Plus and reed cage spacer) it can make 40+ hp without any huge midrange hit and excellent bottom-end power (See August 2007 Dirt Rider).

id rather stick with 4 strokes

I hear you. One of the things I love about my CRF150RB is the amazing 6,000 rpm wide powerband combined with seriously sub-200 lb weight. The 2005 or so 200EXC was (and is) on my radar because it has the most 4T powerband of any two-stroke I know about, hovers near the magic 200 lb threshold, and can be lowered enough to actually touch the ground for a dab on tight single-track. A guy who goes by the handle woodsryder actually built my ideal trail bike.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/943320-183-lb-xr200/?hl=show%20off

thanks for your input old plonker. the small wheels really scared me off i wouldve considered the 200 2 stroke but none available around here. besides the used crf 250r is in the price range i aim. its has pro taper bar and a couple goodies ill just throw in a kouba link to lower it a little bit and it

will only need some trail equipment later on il buying this afternoon. thanks again for input. ill surely be posting regularly from now on :)