Sign in to follow this  

Xr70r problems

Okay I bought a xr70r for 200 from,someone. Hey said the rings were put in and it ran but it sat over winter and hasn't been started. I cleaner carb, compression is good and I'm getting spark from the plug. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

Okay I bought a xr70r for 200 from,someone. Hey said the rings were put in and it ran but it sat over winter and hasn't been started. I cleaner carb, compression is good and I'm getting spark from the plug. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

How are you testing compression?  Have you looked at the air filter and replaced it?  I would also do a full rebuild on that carb with new jets.  Pilit can be hard to clean.  Also go one sizze up on the pilot. try to remove the plug off the back of the exhaust and clean it.  they get clogged and cause starting problems.  Change the plug?  Fresh gas?

Yeah I changed gas,oil and all that. A buddy of mine came bc he knows a lot and he said it's not getting compression and I finally got it started but poured white smoke and wouldn't stay at idle

Yeah I changed gas,oil and all that. A buddy of mine came bc he knows a lot and he said it's not getting compression and I finally got it started but poured white smoke and wouldn't stay at idle

white or blue smoke?  probabaly more blue.  that means it needs a top end.  Simple fix and plenty of videos on youtube that walk you through it.  If you need help, PM me.

It was more whitish I'm sure. And I tried to take the top end off to check the piston rings and such and couldn't figure it out

Maybe valve adjustment

Maybe valve adjustment

Actually. this should be the first thing you do before all the others.  Make sure your base is set before tinkering with other things.

Okay so today I broke the top end down. The piston rings were just all aligned so I separated the splits 90 degrees. One ? Though. Are the rings supposed to fit snug around the piston or just kinda loose around it? Next thing will be valve adjustment. Do I do. 002 or. 003?

Okay so today I broke the top end down. The piston rings were just all aligned so I separated the splits 90 degrees. One ? Though. Are the rings supposed to fit snug around the piston or just kinda loose around it? Next thing will be valve adjustment. Do I do. 002 or. 003?

Compared tot he rings on a big bike, they may seem a little more snug than most.