Making a klr 250 better for touring.

I want to make a 1996 klr 250 better for longer trips and still be dirt worthy. Before people say "get a klr 650" it is too heavy and i will be using it offroad alot and the 650 isn't dirt worthy enough. I don't want this to be a total touring bike i just want it to be better for longish trips and also it would be a nice little bike to put a tent on the back and ride to a camping spot.

Stuff I want to add, can people please tell me a good brand for each thing.

Front and back racks (I'll probably manufacturer one instead of buying)

Hard saddle bags.

Possibly performance parts (aftermarket exhaust, big bore anything to make it a little faster because it's a little under powered)

Nice seat for long distance.

Also any suggestions you have to make it a better touring bike that I didn't put in the list i would love to hear it.

Okay, thanks. What's a good brand for soft bags?

Working this out myself for the KLR 650. I have racks, I think from Happy trails, to keep the bags off the muffler and away from the rear wheel. For now I'm using Cortech bags from my streetbike. I've been looking at Wolfman, Ortlieb, and Mohave but been holding off for a coupla reasons not pertinent here. There are also loop type bags and bags hanging off the tank. It's been a while, but you can spend a lot of time searching what suits you. Good luck.

By the way, the 650's can be more dirt worthy than you might think. I also had a KLR 250, a DRZ400 and a WR450. I ride mostly distance off road exploring.

Mike

Working this out myself for the KLR 650. I have racks, I think from Happy trails, to keep the bags off the muffler and away from the rear wheel. For now I'm using Cortech bags from my streetbike. I've been looking at Wolfman, Ortlieb, and Mohave but been holding off for a coupla reasons not pertinent here. There are also loop type bags and bags hanging off the tank. It's been a while, but you can spend a lot of time searching what suits you. Good luck.

By the way, the 650's can be more dirt worthy than you might think. I also had a KLR 250, a DRZ400 and a WR450. I ride mostly distance off road exploring.

Mike

I know the klr 650 does pretty well in dirt and i like the bike it's a good bike if I had the.money I would buy a 250 and a 650:p also It's way to heavy If I dropped it i dont think I could pick it up also the rest of my family is on full dirtbikes and the 250 would be better for what im doing.

Also I have seen a bag that goes over the seat and has a bag on both sides but i can't find them for sale anywhere, I like that design but i.would like waterproof or atleast water resistant.

1401558170092.jpg

Yes it's heavy, I pick it up regularly. Ha!

Those bags look good if they are large enough? I don't worry about waterproof to much, It's nice but putting your stuff in garbage bags first also works. With limited funds I often "make do" As in the Cortech bags for street and dirt. They came with rain covers but I just do the garbage bag thing.

Mike

I know the klr 650 does pretty well in dirt and i like the bike it's a good bike if I had the.money I would buy a 250 and a 650:p also It's way to heavy If I dropped it i dont think I could pick it up also the rest of my family is on full dirtbikes and the 250 would be better for what im doing.

Also I have seen a bag that goes over the seat and has a bag on both sides but i can't find them for sale anywhere, I like that design but i.would like waterproof or atleast water resistant.

I'm looking for flexible turn signals because the ones on the bike are barely flexible and i drop dirtbikes reqularly not hard but just making a mistake in muddy ruts from trucks usually and i want a signal that is d.o.t approved and highly flexible

Or something to put on the bike that protects the signal when I crash.

I made a rack out of half inch copper tubing.  It's pretty strong.  I made it by starting at one mounting point and working from there.  Totol cost about $10,

Picture093.jpg

Walmart ATV seat pad for about $20.  I ended up trimming mine and using duct tape to fit my seat better.  It's pretty comfortable on the road.  Off road it can limit movement but it's removable

Picture194.jpg

Picture218.jpg

A back pack is also a good way to carry gear.  If your travels are going to include riding off road with gear it's probably the best way to carry weight.  Having a lot of gear on the back of the bike really screws with the handling. 

The KLR250 is a tough bike with limited horsepower, which means you can ride it wide open all day long and it won't blow up.  Don't let anyone talk you out of your next adventure, just do it.  You have a bike that can take you anywhere for very little $$$.

Edited by toadl
  • Like 1

I made a rack out of half inch copper tubing. It's pretty strong. I made it by starting at one mounting point and working from there. Totol cost about $10,

Picture093.jpg

Walmart ATV seat pad for about $20. I ended up trimming mine and using duct tape to fit my seat better. It's pretty comfortable on the road. Off road it can limit movement but it's removable

Picture194.jpg

Picture218.jpg

A back pack is also a good way to carry gear. If your travels are going to include riding off road with gear it's probably the best way to carry weight. Having a lot of gear on the back of the bike really screws with the handling.

The KLR250 is a tough bike with limited horsepower, which means you can ride it wide open all day long and it won't blow up. Don't let anyone talk you out of your next adventure, just do it. You have a bike that can take you anywhere for very little $$$.

That's a nice bike... Is the wind screen cosmetic or does it have a purpose?

I was planning on having a backpack, something to hold a sleeping bag and maybe a soft tank bag. Still just plans though because I don't even have my motorcycle license lol:p