Sign in to follow this  

special tool?

I have a dumb little question here.

Is there a special tool for handling those pesky wire clamps on fuel lines etc(dirt bike)?  You know, the ones formed from a single strand of wire which have two overlapping rings at the end.  I hate those things.  I find them frustrating to work with.

That is all,

TomJV

Slip joint pliers. When I put them back on I like to align them so they are accessible and easy to get back off.

There is a special plier, it has grooves in it to prevent the wire clamp from slipping out. Easy enough to mod a pair of pliers by grinding a little groove (it does not need to be deep).

I don't take em off, it just stays where it is when i take the hose off. And just slides back on

But if you buy aftermarket vinyl hoses they tend to adhere to the fittings so this is not possible.

• Like 1

There is a special plier, it has grooves in it to prevent the wire clamp from slipping out. Easy enough to mod a pair of pliers by grinding a little groove (it does not need to be deep).

Those are for the automotive style spring-wire clamps.  The ones being complained about here are more likely the typical Japanese type that have the round loops on the free ends.  Any pliers that will close flat together and reach the clamp will work as well as anything is going to.

I have a method of using needle nose pliers.

You start with the pliers so that the pin is parallel with the hose.

Pinch the rounded ends and rotate the pliers pivot perpindicular.

You end up holding the little ends with the clamp spread and you can slide it right over the barb

Works for me every time.

Doesn't hurt the clamp.

• Like 1