Sign in to follow this  

TM 125 rebuild project. (Pic heavy)

Hey guys my project bike is nearing completion after a few months, taken a while to save for parts as I've been a bit shy of work.

This was my old Kawasaki project, built it and loved it but felt a bit small after a few months of riding and fancied a 125

1237519_10151820210305857_1319279192_n.j

This is the bike when I first bought it, bit of a mess but I thought it was the most wonderful machine I've ever owned (Only owned a pit bike and a KX100 before this), bought it as a non runner very cheap.

1010427_10152032237190857_1217518100_n.j

10306756_10152290083045857_7837043387791

This is how my bike currently stands.

I'll make a quick list of the work I've carried out.

1. Engine replaced with 2000 engine as the crank cases were destroyed
  2. Replaced gearbox and a few bearings
  3. New main bearings and seals
  4. Full gasket kit
  5. New clutch slave
  6. New tank shrouds, mud guard and R/H fork guard 
  7. New grips and bar pad
  8. New throttle cable
  9. New carb breather hoses
  10. Rear caliper bled
  11. New Wossner piston
  12. Expansion chamber polished 
  13. Removed rear quarter graphics and monster can
  14. Painted flywheel and clutch covers

Feel like I've breathed some life in to the bike properly cannot wait to ride it now! Should have it running within a fortnight and I'll upload some videos.

Few other pictures

Exhaust cleaned

10270562_10152220761015857_2124028054414

New casing plus gearbox

1902780_10152127208815857_596445694_n.jp

Airbox cleaning

10014680_10152175824830857_1296892952_n.

Thanks for looking guys! Have a lot more pictures may update the thread when I find better content.

Feels good rescuing a bike like that looks good but I would have painted that gold frame it looks bad and shows every nick n scratch from a mile away if you repainted it a darker colour (black was oem) it would make it look a lot better. I think the term is the frame looks manky lol

Good work. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers!

Feels good rescuing a bike like that looks good but I would have painted that gold frame it looks bad and shows every nick n scratch from a mile away if you repainted it a darker colour (black was oem) it would make it look a lot better. I think the term is the frame looks manky lol

Yeah the frame could do with paint, doesn't bother me too much really as I was planning on touching it up, and personally I love the gold frame / forks! :) 

I saved a '01 Tm 85 MX last year of aluminium petrol tank sold it to some older gent who supermotard it out to race it.

• Like 1

Anybody share some help here? Got it started up, timings slightly out, rides lovely. Only concern is sometimes it will go from neutral to first without touching anything/ stall the bike, gearbox forks and shaft seemed spot on! There's a fair bit of play on the lever though, also I have a heavier car gearbox oil on the engine just to test it, could this cause any problems?

Anybody share some help here? Got it started up, timings slightly out, rides lovely. Only concern is sometimes it will go from neutral to first without touching anything/ stall the bike, gearbox forks and shaft seemed spot on! There's a fair bit of play on the lever though, also I have a heavier car gearbox oil on the engine just to test it, could this cause any problems?

Try ATF or a lighter oil. I noticed that my gas gas 300 was knotchy with Rotella (or any car oil) until I replaced with 50/50 ATF/10/30 motor oil. Much better with that blend than straight motor oil. Buy the cheapest of either and replace within every ten hours and you will be good.

Try ATF or a lighter oil. I noticed that my gas gas 300 was knotchy with Rotella (or any car oil) until I replaced with 50/50 ATF/10/30 motor oil. Much better with that blend than straight motor oil. Buy the cheapest of either and replace within every ten hours and you will be good.

Yeah was going to try a lighter oil, cheers I'll let you know how I get on!