Sign in to follow this  

Stator came loose - need help

Hi guys. I just bought a 2007 DRZ 400 SM. I kind of bought it as-is off of a friend. I guess what happened is the bike got tipped over and then wouldnt run right after that. He took it to a local mechanic and found that the stator bolts werent loctited so it came loose. It damaged the stator, rotor, and cover. There were some fine metal filings in the oil and filter but no large chunks off of anything. He walked us through all of this stuff and showed us some play in the crank bearings by wiggling the main shaft with his hand. He also felt that there was a little bit of rod bearing play. The bike has 17000km on it. (so just over 11000 miles) I am wondering if I need to do a full rebuild on it, or can I just clean things up and replace the rotor, stator, and cover. Is there a way to measure crank runout and rod bearing play? 

I dont want to cut any corners, but I dont want to do a full rebuild if it isnt needed. From what I have read 17k is fairly low km. If I do have to do a full rebuild, is this something I dare do myself? Are there good manuals available for this? I am fairly mechanical. I have done alot of work on my snowmobiles, but have never tied into a four stroke, or the bottom end of anything. I was going to send it to one popular engine builder but have read some not so great stuff about him recently. Plus it would be nice to stay local if I can to cut down on time and save the shipping. Should a guy be finding someone who specializes in these engines, or are they fairly straight forward for a good mechanic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if you have crank play and rod play, not much choice but to do a full rebuild, or just run it till it blows, then you will spend more money or just have throw it away.

Allowable play zero.  If you can wiggle the crank that is really bad.  The connecting rod can wiggle a bit side to side is ok but up and down not.  If there was fine steel running through the bearings they could all be shot including the transmission.  Used engine about $1500 so if you dismantle and too many things are trashed, or you run it till it blows, that will be the less expensive option. 

There is a very good manual available with all your desired specifications.