Sign in to follow this  

side cases

Hey, first time posting, read this forum for a while now, had nothing to add until today.

I was heading over to my buddys to put on my new thumper talk side case savers. I had to stop by work, started to rain so i was moving the bike under an awning, foot got caught on my top bag dropped the bike and punctured the side case....

what do I do. I guess need to buy a side case, gasket set? do i need to remove the engine for this job? should I change anything else since I will have this thing apart?.....this sucks. 

- no so happy 2008 drz400s owner

No biggie! Get a used side cover from eBay. Installation is no hassle, just take off the old one and put the new one in place. No need to remove the engine.

You can even keep the gasket... As long there's no oil dripping afterwards, you know you were successful. Otherwise take it off again and put in a new gasket. ;)

Edited by Paul_

Where is the hole?  After doing on trail structural testing by smashing my shift lever into the cover and determining that it is in fact a great idea to round off the back of the lever,  I laid the bike away from the hole, cleaned it with some gas, and used epoxy putty on it.  Once home I ordered the Thumpertalk case savers and have put them over the repair.  Been fine for several years now.

We all want lite.  Until it breaks.  Then we complain it is too thin.  Then we put a protector on so it is thicker, and heavier.

The case guards are tougher aluminum and not cast so it actually works out better than simply having thicker castings.

Edited by slowriding
  • Like 2

That really sucks, the day you were gonna put on case savers you puncture the side. If you are talking  about the left side of engine you might as well do the stator and starter clutch loctite fixes (http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/548456-stator-and-starter-clutch-loctite-fix/).

You have to take off the side cover anyways to do this loctite fix so you will have peace of mind knowing its done. The only extra thing you are out is the cost of replacement side cover or if you attempt to repair it.