Sign in to follow this  

Rm250 2006 - the gears go CRUNCH !

so went riding at a mates place today on my rm250 2006 owned it for about 4 weeks now, know its had a hard life been raced enudro etc

anyway gears kinda lag going into gear... if that makes sense then at the end of our straight we made on my mates grass track top of 4th the bike goes CRRRRRRR and comes to a stop.

now it start right up again easy as, but as soon as its in gear horrible noises, so i shut it down.

now the kick starter is seized solid.

the engine runs fine i know that

what the hell has happened! 

anyway need less to say think something really bad as happened, the gear case oil is like 3 weeks old and i doubt its leaking into the crank case... 

any help would be great as im bloody spewing not having my new shiney looking rm iv just done up!

photo_zps2afcfd50.jpg

Edited by crackhead

ouch I've been there with a 07 rm250.  only way to really know is start digging into it.  I would start by pulling the cylinder off and inspecting the crank movement.  then pull the engine out and start splitting the cases and see what the damage is.  I had a similar situation happen on my 07, when I would put it into gear it would make a terrible noise and then it just stopped going all together, turned out to just be the tranny had a long hard life and was due for some new gears, so I replaced all the gears with used ones I came across and it has over 100 race hours no issues.  so just start tearing into and see what the damage is. 

probably a broken piece of metal getting crunched up in the tranny

well nothing to do with the tranny after all, was the sound of the piston skirt being smashed to bits!

I have a lot of good parts off my 2003 rm250 that I am selling if you need anything. I have a good cylinder head and a good bottom end. Not sure if you will need them but I just wanted to let you know I have them.

well nothing to do with the tranny after all, was the sound of the piston skirt being smashed to bits!

Did you take the pipe off and look at the piston before you bought it?