Sign in to follow this  

Torque Wrench ?

While working on my XR my torque wrench took a dump on me and I'm looking for a new one. I'm looking for a good one that's not to expensive but not cheep. One that will go from 0 to about 75 foot pounds. I've seen some short one's that look good. What are you guys using?

Thanks

I got one of the mechanical dial types off a tool truck over 20 years ago. It's big, 1/2" drive, I use a 3/8" adapter for bikes, built like a brick. Too rusty to read the brand, it's not SnapOn, still works great.

I have two. A 3/8" drive in-lb torque wrench for 6mm fasteners and a 1/2" drive ft-lb torque wrench for everything larger.

The 3/8" drive wrench is a Craftsman. I've had it for 6 or 7 years and its held up well for me. The 1/2" drive wrench is an old Craftsman beam style.

That's the one I had that broke on me. Looking for one a little better.

Doesn't it have a lifetime guarantee?

Not sure what I have, they are not really expensive ones.

I always test a setting on a foot peg bolt that won't strip or break easily. Then torque delicate bolts, like the ones on triple clamps.

yeah, i m pretty sure that craftsman hand tools have a lifetime guarantee

i use a combo of two wrenches... this one for low torque applications - carbon mtb bars and the like... picked it up in germany... awesome tool...

http://www.parzz.ch/SYNTACE-Torque-Tool-1-25-Drehmomentschluessel-397g_1

and a craftsman bigger 3/8" drive one that will hit the bigger ft/lb stuff...

i m over craftsman for the most part since a couple of the later power tools i ve purchased have died before their time... happier to drop a little more these days on milwaukee etc... craftsman hand tools work for me tho'... give em back if / when they  break...

Doesn't it have a lifetime guarantee?

Not sure what I have, they are not really expensive ones.

I always test a setting on a foot peg bolt that won't strip or break easily. Then torque delicate bolts, like the ones on triple clamps.

I thought they did but turns out they only warranty " hand " tools not specialty tools! I was pissed! I told the salesman it was a hand tool because you don't use it with your foot! That didn't get me anywhere. Lol. So I don't want anymore craftsman torque wrenches

Yeah-I hate to say it. I had a Craftsman inch/lb. low-torque setting torque wrench that was really inaccurate when  new and ruined a couple of things before I stopped using it and sending it in for  calibration was expensive enough  to justify buying another new one so I bought Park Tool instead. I used to really like Craftsman but I guess it is on a downward spiral along with Sears. :(

good to hear about the warranty (or lack of on the craftsman stuff)... the list of things i buy from them is getting smaller !!

I thought they did but turns out they only warranty " hand " tools not specialty tools! I was pissed! I told the salesman it was a hand tool because you don't use it with your foot! That didn't get me anywhere. Lol. So I don't want anymore craftsman torque wrenches

It use to be, if it said Craftsman and didn't have a motor (drill or lawn mower), it was warranteed. Blade screw drivers were used as chisles and prybars. I once returned a wratchet wrench and the salesman didn't want to hear the story, he grabbed it and returned with a new one. Now, not so much. I was told you could get Craftsman tools at Orchad, but none have a warrantee. Orchard was recently sold to Lowes, so those Craftsman tools might be long gone.

Angry Sears story

I picked up a good deal on a used craftsman power washer. The pump froze up and ethanol killed the carb. Sears wanted $300 to fix it. New, they are $335. I got it on Craigslist for $35. The owner just wanted it gone. Put an inline gas valve, cleaned the carb, started it and hooked it up to the hose. The water pump was frozen up, so I strapped the nozzle to my pool ladder and let it fill the pool for 30 minutes. Sure enough, the water pump freed up and went back to full force. A fun Craigslist deal.

I got a deal on a Sears Lawnmower. On sale, the manager dropped the price even more, like they were going bankrupt next week.

Sears use to be where you went if you wanted good tools, but cant afford Snapon. Bummer.

Edited by Kev_XR

I still buy some craftsman stuff.  I recently picked up a set of six-point combination wrenches from their outlet site. 

I also buy some things at HF which is kinda like the new Sears.  Their stainless steel digital vernier calipers have been very useful.

HDepot has low prices on individual Husky brand wrenches and sockets.  I recently ground one of their two-dollar sockets into a four-pronged clutch tool.