Sign in to follow this  

Suddenly died - now just buzzing (VIDEO)

Hey guys,

Was riding the other day and my xr650l (94) suddenly just died, as if the switch was turned off. All lights work and starter is still going.

So I took out the spark plug and there's a spark but once I put the plug back in I started hearing a buzz noise coming from the battery box when I hit the start button and the motor won't turn. Here's the video: 

Background:

Bike runs great most of the time. The only problem is when I use the on/off switch to kill the engine. When this happens it'll usually take about 3 or 4 minutes of starting to fire up. But I usually just use the key.

What do yall think? I'd like to exhaust all options before taking it to a mechanic, but this is my only vehicle so I need to get her up and running fast!

Ha - the buzzing was just the dead battery.

So battery is charges but it still won't start.

I'm thinking the CDI or the on/off switch. But could it also be the kickstand switch?

Also, I was riding when it died, does that exclude any of the options above?

Read my thread on CDI repair at the top of this forum.....take the CDI out and flip it over,,wack the back of the CDI with a screw driver handle,,sharply..

If it starts you need to repair the CDI or send it to me for repair..if it doesn`t start let me know..

here`s the CDI thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/881740-xrl650lnx250650transalp-cdi-repair/

B

Is there any chance it isn't getting gas? It almost sounded like the motor was huffing, but maybe that's just how it normally is.

Also, can someone explain how to bypass the on off switch?

Thanks for the response. Testing the CDI tomorrow.

And now that I think about it, the bike does stall, but I just thought cuz it took FOREVER to warm up (like even after 10 minutes on the highway). However, when I put choke on the bike would keep running. Wouldn't this mean the stall wasn't caused by the CDI?

If the CDI is broken will that determine whether or not i get spark??

my friends suzuki drz400 had this issue.... its your solenoid a switch that controls the flow of current to your starter motor so that it wont spin the shit outta your engine on starting and so that it doesn't burn out the starter motor should there be an issue of no spark etc....

do this put the bike on  change to 2nd gear roll it down a hill with the clutch pulled in and when you are going at quite a pace then just let go of your clutch and it shud start...

i will say this only once DO NOT GIVE GAS those are big bikes and in 2nd you can easily flip them depending on your size :)

keep the wait on your back wheel these are hi compression engines and often the pressure needed to turn over the engine can super ceded the traction you have look online at roll start guides etc

if your bike does not start then you do not have an electrical problem and mostlikely just need to investigate your carb

:)

anyways cheers!

If you have spark then the CDI is working ..

B

Sorry, noob here.

When I say spark I mean when I pulled the plug the spark plug make a spark. My definition of "there is spark" is the same as yours, right?

Try the CDI as Brian requested...rap it and then install...if it runs the CDI needs to be replaced

If you have strong blue spark it is most likely not an ignition issue and you can rule out cdi, stator, coil, pulse generator, kick stand switch and kill switch.

Some xr650l's have a fuel drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl if yours does, put a drip pan under the bike and open the screw a few turns and see if any gas comes out. This will confirm fuel to the carb. If fuel comes out you may have a clogged jet or other issue.

Sorry, noob here.

When I say spark I mean when I pulled the plug the spark plug make a spark. My definition of "there is spark" is the same as yours, right?

Yup...if the plugs fires constantly at each compression stroke and is a nice blue spark..........then it`s enough spark for it to start,doesn`t mean the CDI won`t cause stalling and no spark issues at different temperatures andafter a long hot run...

But if it won`t start NOW..........and the spark is good and constant,,look elsewhere..but make sure it fires more than a few times while cranking......a CDI will fire a spark or 2 then quit.......

B

Edited by brianhare

Is there any other way to check if fuek is making it there?

loosen the bowl drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl,if fuel comes out the hose by the swingarm then you know you have gas inside the carb.......but that doesn`t mean the jet isn`t plugged and not transfering fuel from the bowl to the intake manifold..

You can squirt a little fuel in the plug hole like i said after verifying the carb has fuel,,if it starts ,,then dies,,pull the carb..

B