Sign in to follow this  

Chain & piston

What's best timing chain an piston kits to get for my xr400 on a 53 plate

best cam chain to get is a 2002-08 CRF 450 chain.  Its a little wider and a lot more heavy duty.  The stock xr 400 cam chain tensioner are prone to failing, I have had 4 go bad on me.  I replaced my tensioner with a 2007 CRF 250 tensioner, Direct fit and way better then stock...

as for pistons, I don't know I always run stock in mine. 

• Like 1

I used a stock 2007 crf 250 tensioner. And it works great .

Is it only the 2007 that fits? I haven't looked that close at Honda tensioners. But what different and why it better than stock?

Is it only the 2007 that fits? I haven't looked that close at Honda tensioners. But what different and why it better than stock?

a 2004-2009 crf 250 should fit, As far as I know they are all the same!  But the reason I used a 2007 was because I had a brand new spare one from my 07 250f. I compared the 2 together, and they are the same length and diameter . 

I have had 4 xr 400 tensioners fail on me, and out of the couple 250f's that I have owned and rode them extremely hard, I have never had one fail on me.

So I said whats to lose?  and used it  I have put a lot of hours on it and its still good. 

• Like 1