Sign in to follow this  

blown fork seal

guys, I literally just arrived at the trails after my 175km commute to get here. The bike's been running fine but as I got off to grab a coffee + noticed the fork fluid is dripping down my fork - it's all over my boots + stuff. Obviously this is an issue i'm sure for many reasons (I'm not mechanical at all) - obvious being it's all in the front break + of course the fact something is wrong with the forks. What's the best course of action? Is this a code RED or something i'll likely be fine with until I can get it to the shop during the week. Regardless whether or not I attempt to go dirt biking here - i'll still need to ride it back the 175km to the city to get it fixed. I guess the question is is how much am I f*cked here + should I just ride some dirt while I'm here as I clearly need to get this fixed anyways. Fire me back - I'm literally at the coffee shop plotting my next move. Thanks thumpers!!!

• Like 1

guys, I literally just arrived at the trails after my 175km commute to get here. The bike's been running fine but as I got off to grab a coffee + noticed the fork fluid is dripping down my fork - it's all over my boots + stuff. Obviously this is an issue i'm sure for many reasons (I'm not mechanical at all) - obvious being it's all in the front break + of course the fact something is wrong with the forks. What's the best course of action? Is this a code RED or something i'll likely be fine with until I can get it to the shop during the week. Regardless whether or not I attempt to go dirt biking here - i'll still need to ride it back the 175km to the city to get it fixed. I guess the question is is how much am I f*cked here + should I just ride some dirt while I'm here as I clearly need to get this fixed anyways. Fire me back - I'm literally at the coffee shop plotting my next move. Thanks thumpers!!!

Ride on Brother mines been blown for 3 weeks now and I keep riding. Good to get it sorted when you can thou. you have probably only lost 10mm of fluid at the most if its just happened. almost 300mm in them shockies.

If you have some thin plastic ie (film negative or similar) poke it up inside the fork seal and do a full lap around this should temporally fix it. :) 

• Like 1

I believe this is happening because this bike is so under sprung but, I do not know this as fact. I had Race Tech do my forks and my seals have not leaked yet. 

anyway .... a lot of times you can fix it like this video shows and as Moto rookie stated you can make your own tool .... 

• Like 1

Just lose dampening is all, but still fix when time permits, use sk seals, the best I do believe! There are worse things that can happen!

• Like 3