Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Carburetor leaking. Won't stop

Can anyone help me? I have a 1986 kx250 that I fully restored. But I can't get the carb to stop pouring gas out of the float bowl vent tube. I've taken the carb apart many times now and cleaned the %@#& out it. I even soaked it in carb cleaner over night. But when I hook it back up and turn the gas on, it just continues to pour out. What would cause this?

1401582666496.jpg

A faulty needle & seat, and/or float out of spec. BTW...Nice bike!

Edited by bowhunter007

pBegley, you did such an amazing job on that bike and you couldn't figure that out?

Just get a new needle and clean out the seat it fits in.

Try changing your float level first. But note the position it is in now.

Did that bike have brass floats? If it does take it off and shake it to see if there is any fuel that leaked into them.

it HAS to be asked......sorry if it offends.

You did route the hoses back onto the proper nipples?

My buddy had an issue with his kid's TTR....pouring gas ot the carb.  Tried everything.  Finally asked the above question.  He calls me back, sheepishly, yea Coo, that was it.

it HAS to be asked......sorry if it offends.

You did route the hoses back onto the proper nipples?

My buddy had an issue with his kid's TTR....pouring gas ot the carb. Tried everything. Finally asked the above question. He calls me back, sheepishly, yea Coo, that was it.

Hey CooHead. ..I routed the vent hoses to where they're supposed to be. But maybe I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. This is my second restoration job but I'm still kind of a newbie at this. Can you explain in more detail please? (And here is a pic of my other restoration 86 cr250)

1401671729249.jpg

Mine did this a couple of times.  Try tapping the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle or something similar.  The needle sometimes slides to the side just enough to miss the seat when the bowl is full.  Tapping it will sometimes straighten it out.  

Nevermind.

If you rebuilt those two bikes,.....I'm thinking you did not hook up the fule line from the tank to the wrong hose barb on the carb.

On 4t machines, there are often a couple extra vent lines.  My buddy hooked up the tank fule line to one of the vent circuits on the carb=sure enough, massive gas leak.

But, he is not all about dirt bikes.  Was just messing with his kid;s TTR125 and got it wrong when he put it all back together.

But, as stated here already, one of two things:

Float(s) in carb are cracked and not floating as full of gas.

Float height tang somehow got tweaked and it is wanting to let to much gas into carb.

Needle and seat.

Either of those is an easy fix.

Coo